Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Besides the \"Glorious 3\"...

Through Poker Source Online I have the opportunity to pick up a book or two through the point system. What books are good out there, besides TOP SSH HPFAP? Here's the list of the books that are available:
ITH
Poker Like the Pros
Poker Bad Beats
Caro's Book of Tells
Positively Fifth Street
Supersystem
Shut Up and Deal
Championship No-Limit
Serious Poker
Hold'em Excellence
WLLH
Internet Poker
Poker: The Real Deal

Now I can get two or three of them. Im thinking Supersytem, Champ NL, and ITH. I have read SSH and TOP and HPFAP are on their way. Any suggestions? Get the books or get some KEM Cards or Lederer's awesome DVD collection?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Besides the \"Glorious 3\"...

Why make up a dumb name like "Glorious 3" and then put quotes around it like you're quoting someone? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why make up a dumb name like "Glorious 3" and then put quotes around it like you're quoting someone? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking exactly the same thing.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:02 PM

I just bought ITH and I think its a great "nuts and bolts" book.....a fine complement to WLLH IMO.

I've read Championship PLNL Hold'em by Cloutier and it isnt that great of a book. I wouldnt recommend it, especially to someone who is accustomed to absorbing the info presented in the Twoplustwo books. Spend your money on something else. ITH is definitely worth it.

And actually since you havent read it yet, WLLH is a great book, although its a bit more simplistic/elementary compared to SSH, HFAP, etc. Its more of a beginners book, but its still good (people say that LEE Jones system is "weak tight", which I agree with, but if youve read SSH then you dont have to worry about that).

BTW, Phil Gordon's book: The Real Deal is NOT a strategy book. I have it and I enjoyed it. However, it is not a strategy guide if thats what youre looking for. There are some bits and pieces of info here and there but his book is really more of a broad discussion on a wide spectrum of various poker topics (the history of poker, etc, etc). Still, its an entertaining read.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:43 PM

I agree with Mike Texas that T.J. Cloutier 's Championship NL is garbage.
You suggested Super/System. That's a good choice, but don't just read the Hold'em and No-limit Hold'em sections. I did that and didn't really care for the book that much, then I read the whole thing start to finish and appreciated it so much more. There are pearls of poker wisdom spread throughout the book. (The Draw Poker Section written by Mike Caro is awesome). Speaking of Mike Caro, I'd also suggest the 4th book in your list, Caro's book of Tells.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:14 PM

Looks like a no-brainer to me:

Super System
Book of Tells
ITH

WLLH would be my 4th choice.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:27 PM

Shut up and deal and positively 5th street are both awesome books. Non-instructive, but great, great, reading.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like a no-brainer to me:

Super System
Book of Tells
ITH

WLLH would be my 4th choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you actually read and understand HPFAP and SSHE, I don't see how you'd get too much out of WLLH or ITH. Super system is of course a classic, although most likely, a lot of it won't be increadibly practical. And I agree with the book of tells choice.

Positively 5th street is a really entertaining, well-written book, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, as did most other peole I know who have read it. Of course it won't teach you much about poker, but most of the books on that list aren't great instructional texts either.

Since you've already got those 3 great books, it would probably actually be a detriment to you if you read some of those poor, instructional books on poker. Even if it didn't hurt you, I guarentee re-reading any of your 3 books would be much better use of your time than if you spent it reading "play poker like the pros", or " Championship No Limit"
Old 01-05-2005, 02:36 PM

WLLH -- Good book if you're light on theory, and want to play profitably while you digest the other books.

ITH -- A bit more technical than WLLH. I like this book a lot, the starting hand section suits my personal playing style very well (just a matter of preference)

Poker Like the Pros -- Many in this forum think that the Limit HE section is terrible. Personally, I think it's aimed at an audience of people who aren't going to play a lot, and aren't going to read many books. (You could do worse than this book, at least you don't play many hands). However, if you're a regular in this forum, and are going to study, there are better books.

Caro's Book of Tells -- a classic.

Supersystem -- the Bible. But read what people say about SupersystemII before getting this.

Hold 'em Excellence. My first book -- I prefer either WLLH or ITH.

Positively Fifth Street -- a good read. Won't do much for your game, though. Take it with you to the beach.

Hope this is helpful.