Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Elevating My Game

I've been playing SNG's for about 6 months. Exclusively SNg's for about 4. I'm addicted to them. Anyways, I'm a big stickler as far as bankroll management goes. I started playing the 6's with $50, and have built it into $310, but I'm currently sitting at $240.

The fact that I made that progress makes me feel pretty good. I've decided that I'm not going to play the 11's until my BR is $550. Why'd I pick that number? I don't know, but that doesn't matter because that's what I'm doin.

I'm a pretty solid player. Tight until level 4, then push/fold. I have PT, but my ROI isn't near as sexy as I'd like. Another problem I've been having recently is that I've been getting 2nd place way too much.

Obviously I still have leaks to plug, but I'm wondering what are some things I can do to take my game to the next level?

I'm thinking about getting SNGPT. I know there's not really a right answer to this question, but how much will it boost my ROI?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Suck it easy [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Elevating My Game

There's going to be about 18 people saying don't play the 5+1's because the rake is too high. I'll go ahead and be one of them. $200 should be more than enough to play the 10+1's, assuming you're a consistent winner.

If you're going to play STTs with any kind of seriousness, you need to be keeping stats, whether it be through some sort of program or an Excel spreadsheet(takes 5 minutes to set up if you know anything about spreadsheets). How many STTs have you actually played, how often do you make the money, and what's your ROI?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:24 PM

since I started keeping stats (not very long ago). here's what they are

# of tourns. - 143
ROI - 15%
ITM - 43%

1st place - 16
2nd place - 26
3rd place - 20

At one one point, I had more 1st's than 2nd's and 3rd's. Something has changed in my game but I don't know what.

Mt strat heads up is - push/fold always. Push with any ace or any suited K, I also bluff when I sense weakness.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:29 PM

143 is a pretty small sample size and the change in your placement distribution could just be a matter of variance.

You could use some creativity with your heads up strat. Heads up with low-moderate blinds can be a great way to steal a 1st against a bigger stack with solid play. Yes, with big blinds push/fold is the way to go, but with smaller blinds you have to fight a much more tactical battle. Some players get very aggressive heads up, and some start folding to everything. Getting a good feel for how your opponent plays heads up can turn a lot of 2nds into 1st's.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

At one one point, I had more 1st's than 2nd's and 3rd's. Something has changed in my game but I don't know what.

[/ QUOTE ]

man, if you are analyzing fluctuations within a 143 sample size you are seriously wasting your time.

just read the forum, post hands youre not sure of, and come back with at LEAST 10x more tourneys to start drawing any conclusions/trends.

bj
Old 10-19-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll play some more and get back to guys when I have a larger sample size, but the reason for my post is because I'm thinking about getting SNGPT, and I'm wondering how much that can help my game

man, if you are analyzing fluctuations within a 143 sample size you are seriously wasting your time.

just read the forum, post hands youre not sure of, and come back with at LEAST 10x more tourneys to start drawing any conclusions/trends.

bj

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-19-2005, 10:53 PM

If you do well at the 5's you're probably ready to try the $10
SNG's. The difference in skill between the two is not dramatic.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mt strat heads up is - push/fold always. Push with any ace or any suited K, I also bluff when I sense weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]That's really your hand range for pushing?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:30 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
$200 should be more than enough to play the 10+1's, assuming you're a consistent winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has baaaad news written all over it.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:40 PM

I have lost more than $200 in a night at the 11s on numerous occasions.