Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2004, 11:58 PM

Default Ball caps at the lodge

At the local lodge (my only live play) sunglasses are frowned on, except late in the monthly $150 tourney. At the weekly $50 tourneys, which attract 10 or 20 players, nobody wears them, but I'm the only player watching the others and waiting until the action is on me to look at the cards. I started wearing a ball cap after a night of frustration looking at another guy at the table and never being able to see his face at the moment he examined his card. The lodge is filled with good old boys, many of whom wear ball caps all the time (blaze orange in hunting season) so I don't look out of place.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Serious Question: Sunglasses advice!

wasn't there a previous thread by someone who wanted to wear a big rainbow wig and clown-glasses if he got to the WSOP?? this was a few months ago as i recall.

That would be cool to see a showdown between "clown-man" v.s. "paper bag head with beer bottle". This could quickly morph into pro-wrestling with cards. Have side-interviews with "Mean Gene" Oakerland where "clown-head" is puffing out his chest and verbally assaulting "paper bag head with beer bottle" with a barrage of insults and verbiage. "I'm going to take you downnnn, and we'll see where the chips fallll!" *clown whistle sounds*. Just imagine the redneck marketing potential!!!! Get Vince McMahon on the phone, just don't mention XFL.

--Cents [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2004, 01:16 PM

So, should I look at him and then look away real quick and start whistling when he begins to move his eyes in my direction? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I agree that wearing them to begin with can have an effect on the table, but can you give any examples on to to observe other players without them noticing?
Old 05-17-2004, 08:32 PM

i believe it's called peripheral vision, seeing things out of the corner of your eye.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:02 PM

You should get the sunglasses that are the most reflective. Then shine them up a bit. That way everyone can see your cards when you look at them.

Seriously, the only reason you should wear sunglasses is so you can stare at the cocktail waitresses without them knowing.

If you want to block tells you need to cover everything. I suggest buying a white sheet and cutting out the eyes or just get a ghost halloween costume. You also need one of those spy kid toys that makes your voice sound like a robot.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:57 PM

I think next time I sit in at a live game, I am just gonna dress like a KKK grandwizard. Maybe I'll change my beer to Old English 400 malt liquor. Hopefully, I meet up with clown-man, paper bag head, and maybe the San Diego Chicken.

--Cents
Old 05-18-2004, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think next time I sit in at a live game, I am just gonna dress like a KKK grandwizard

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha just make sure you're in South Park and not the Oaks or in LA.

Maybe you can get someone to dress up like a squirrel who only plays the nuts.

PS The Chicken is easy to read because he clucks when he gets a good hand.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully, I meet up with clown-man, paper bag head, and maybe the San Diego Chicken.

[/ QUOTE ]

for some reason this reminds me of an episode of the Comedy Central show Insomniac with Dave Attell.

in Dave's visit to LV he is playing blackjack at a table with Charro, Robin Leach, and Pat Morita (from the Karate Kid).

now if we could just combine all of those players to form a super-table of random weirdness i would be in gambling-heaven.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:26 PM

So, I should turn my head sideways to look at the guy directly accross from me out of the corner of my eye?
Old 05-18-2004, 03:43 PM

Hi deacsoft,
Here's a method I employ when I'm playing shorthanded (so I must observe my opponents a lot without making them self-conscious): when you get your 1st 2 cards, pick them up to look at them. When you do this, others generally will be doing it also. But as you're lifting your cards, lift your eyes to watch your opponents. Use the same tactic on the flop and beyond; look where the card is going to be placed, until the moment when it is actually flipped up. At that moment, look up with only your eyes, and you'll see that your opponents are still staring at the card(s).