Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Bay Area cardrooms, when do they get hard?

I'm in the bay area for a few months and have been trying out the local cardrooms. 3-6 was very soft so I stepped up to 6-12. 6-12 players were indistinguishable from 3-6 players. 80% of them are just gamblers who don't feel like making the drive to Tahoe. I've been averaging 3.5 bb/hour irrespective of the limit.

I know I'm not that good a poker player and I'd prefer to win easily off fishies than struggle against good players. So how high a limit can I step up to before I start running into tight or skillful play? I've heard talk that even the 20-40 game is full of gamblers. Is this true?

Also, California cardrooms have a reputation as being particularly soft. How much should I lower my stakes if I went to Vegas (in other words, 10-20 in Cali equals 4-8 in Vegas) or AC?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Bay Area cardrooms, when do they get hard?

Having never played above 6-12, I'm really no expert on the differences at the higher limits. However, I would expect that the bad players at the higher limits would probably tend to be overaggressive-bad as opposed to passively-pay-you-off-bad. I'd also expect there to generally be fewer bad players as the limits increase, though I'd guess they're still abundant.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:36 PM

Having never played above 6-12, I'm really no expert on the differences at the higher limits. However, I would expect that the bad players at the higher limits would probably tend to be overaggressive-bad as opposed to passively-pay-you-off-bad. I'd also expect there to generally be fewer bad players as the limits increase, though I'd guess they're still abundant.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:56 PM

20-40 are still bad...just a different kind of bad. More aggressive, a little trickier, but still plenty beatable. I don't know where you are playing, but I have found in the 20 or so sessions I've played at each of the 20-40 at Bay101 and LC's, that the Bay101 20-40 is a much better game. I don't really have enough experience in either one, though.
I think a competent 2+2er could easily beat the Bay101 20-40 for $40/hr by just playing ABC.