Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Right or Wrong

I was sitting in a $500 buy in no limit game with a stack of roughly $700. A younger conservative player opened the pot for 7x the bb ($35) i gave him credit for a pretty good hand but called with 77 for a possible huge pot. the bb also called. 3 handed to the flop with $110 in the pot. The flop comes A Q 9 rainbow. The bb checks, the preflop raiser bets $30... Now this is the time for a decision. I felt that although his hand was better than mine, it wasn't good enough -- why would he bet so small with those draws.. I raised the pot to $90. Although i am an aggressive player, my table image at the time was pretty solid. After a bit of hesitation, the preflop raiser called. The turn brought the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] this card brought a flush draw and made a j 10 straight. Preflop raiser checks to me and i bet $150. I want this bet to look like protecting a big hand as well as a large value bet. My opponent picked his cards up off the table and showed the player to his right and said im sure he floped two pair or a set... A strange thing happened though, he decided to call. When i made that bet, i said tomyself that if he went over the top i was done, but if he just check called i could win the pot. The River brought the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He checked and i bet the remaining 300 in his stack. He looked sick to his stomach and just couldn't believe it. sure enough after a 5 minute display of every facial distortion imaginable he said those words a bluffer hates to hear... "you got me... I call" in a very dejected tone. He had A K off suit. I said hell of a call kid, i wished everyone luck and i walked away. On the drive home, i couldn't decide if i made a bad play or not. My only mistake in the hand in my opinion is not folding on the flop, but i believe that what determines the winners and losers in the long run is not aces and kings, but how we play those mediocre situations. I am not looking for moral support, I simply think it is an interesting question. Let me know what you guys think...
Old 12-01-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Right or Wrong

You played it bad
Old 12-01-2005, 08:47 PM

i think the river bet is just spewing
Old 12-01-2005, 08:54 PM

it's a reasonable bluff, but make sure you know who you're bluffing, you clearly picked the wrong target.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A younger conservative player opened the pot for 7x the bb ($35) i gave him credit for a pretty good hand but called with 77 for a possible huge pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful what you wish for. You wanted a huge pot, and you were able to accomplish your objective. (ZZzz)

Seriously though, people dont lay down TPTK in live 5/5 games like this. Seeing that he does back his stack with TPTK shows that your call preflop was pos EV and you should have just waited for when you DID get the set.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:42 PM

Dont bluff the fish.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:51 PM

paragraphs are cool
Old 12-02-2005, 07:54 PM

Don't try to get too tricky. Sounds like this is a juicy game and you are trying to overthink your plays. In a higher limit game this probably would have worked well but then again people wouldn't rarely open the pot for 7x the BB.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:26 PM

I think if your gonna raise the flop you need make a bigger raise, by making the raise you did your gettting very little fe.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:31 PM

If you used paragraphs he probably would have folded.

-SmileyEH