Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Looking for progression advice

I have been playing on line micro limit for a little while now. My goal is to get better at the game as well as earn a little money. At this point, I feel that it is more valuable in the long run to learn the game than to earn. However, I am married without a large disposable income.

My initial plan was to deposit a small amount ($100) and start playing $.50/1.00 (party poker) with some of the baby SNG tourneys mixed in. I figured that my skills and bankroll would increase in line with each other. Once I built my bankroll up to a safe amount (300 or so BB) I would move to $1/2, $2/4 and so on. I could see myself getting up to the $3/6, maybe $5/10, but not that interested in getting into anything too terribly big.

I am second guessing myself at this time. After playing a few hours a week for a few weeks. I am wondering if I am teaching myself bad habits. Most of the games I am playing at have half the table seeing the flop everytime. Even on some big raises. I have found that it is more profitable by playing many more hands than I would consider to be smart poker (this would never fly at our weekly home game, but that is usually pot limit).

Bascially I am wondering if I am better off moving up and taking my lumps learning to play the game the right way, or trying to learn the different levels and what works at them.

Kind of a Catch-22. I want to play against people that make sense, but of course I don't want to step into a lions den and get shreaded apart.

Any advice you can pass on would be appreciated.

Dave