Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2002, 04:46 PM

Default electronic currency trading

What are your views on electronic currency trading? I see ads for 24/7 forex brokers. Are they as regulated as the futures markets? Is there adequate liguidity there 24 hours a day?

I have experience short-term and intraday trading stocks using technical analysis, but I won't be able to continue intraday trading at work.

If it's possible I would like to be trade in the evening and night time (eastern time).
Old 02-08-2002, 05:10 PM

Default if you are purely pre-defined...

If you use completely pre-defined strategies, you can set them up on TradeStation. The program will email you or page you at work when it does something.

I can't imagine a guy with a day job, and trading currencies at night, being very good at either.

Those things aren't constantly going - making big moves in a central, level playing field - like Cisco, and I have trouble visualizing what non-mechanical, arbitrage, or scalping strategy you hope to use that the big banks won't have an edge all over you.

Sure, you can fight over fractions of pennies non-stop, 24/7. But so far as the big, anomalous moves which I think you will have to be correct on just to break even, I can't imagine how you hope to predict them.

I don't mean to sound mean, or doubt your skills, but don't get too excited about it. Or, if some other poster tells us otherwise - that it is good stuff - then maybe you'll have me out there somewhere to compete with too

Are you an economist, or something? No, just a chart-watcher, right? Currencies are pretty trendy, so I say use TradeStation.

It's like, if one bank is buying currency from another bank, and some little punk fires in an order saying "Me too, I want to buy some pounds too," it's like, who cares?

It might all come down to what book your electronic order gets executed against. Who takes the other side? And I do not have the answer.

leroy
Old 02-09-2002, 12:18 AM

Default Re: electronic currency trading

[electronic currency trading]

There are 2 markets for this, one is the GLOBEX, the other is the FOREX.

I donot trade via either, however, I can offer some links that may help you.

First, you should read this on the FOREX.

http://www.cftc.gov/opa/enf98/opaforexa15.htm

This is the BIG one (FOREX), where the major players are. For the most part it is an unregulated market. You see banner ads all over, offering little or no commission trading with an account as small as several thousand $$$. Trades world wide 24/7, check that, it might be 24/6.5.

Advice is worth what you pay for it, and the price here is free, so do your own homework.

Make SURE you completely understand the risks involved in trading here.

Here is a link to a free real time price chart on the FOREX. Another word of caution. Some prices are in US $$$, but when you trade you buy(sell) the underlying in that currency, so you need the correct quote for say, the Japan Yen. Example: US$130 = .007692 JY (appx) [check my math, I make no promises]

http://www.forexdirectory.net/quotesfx.html

Here is one more link that I've found useful. Good charts, good advice, but NEVER use only this to reach a decision. (my opinion)

http://www.forex-ats.com/default.htm

The GLOBEX is best explained here. Trades thru Chicago (CME)

http://www.cme.com/

Best wishes, (there's no luck involved)

SteveB

Old 02-09-2002, 12:29 AM

One more suggestion. Make absolutely, 101% sure, no questions about it, that you have back up plans in place should your IP go down!
Old 02-09-2002, 09:27 AM

Default futures more accessible, cash is more liquid/24/7 *NM*

Old 02-11-2002, 04:36 PM

That might be true Leroy, but it isn't as liquid a market. Further I will tell anyone trying to trade currencies that if you try to purely base it on charts you are running huge risks so if that is your plan have very tight ranges to work with. Currency moves are based on economics, not really trends. Most trends, IMO, are just a reflection of people coming to conclusions that an economist would have come to earlier. My advice is to stick to lesser markets and out of the EUR and JPY and learn those markets cold. You can't trade the VEN Bolivar effectively 24/7, but these are the types of currencies where you can see behind the hype and actually make money out of it.

One last thing. I highly agree with others in that you aren't likely to do very well off-hours. Even though the markets are open all night, the liquidity drops greatly. The 24/7 market is a true statement, but as in everything else, the whole world takes its cues from NY. When the NY and CHI markets are trading, you see at least 70% of the volume running through the system, much of it because that is when the arbitrageurs are making their hay. The first hour Japan is up usually is just trades to even out its market to the US market unless significant news has come up. And in something like currencies, the last thing you want to be doing is playing all your eggs when the market lacks serious liquidity.
Old 02-11-2002, 05:24 PM

While i agree that in the long run currencies to converge to economic fundamentals, in the short to medium run, they are often driven by other factors. For example, recent JPY movement is almost entirely based on political events and to a lesser extent flows. I think in general currency trading is quite difficult without information on flows which most investors simply do not have.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:27 PM

Default Javelin, do you work on a high-visibility desk?

Javelin,

If you work on a high-visibility or friction desk - meaning one where you talk to customers or handle their orders all day - in fixed income or whatever, some of us (me would be really curious to know what it's like - what kind of trades you do, whom they come from, etc.

More specifically, if you are a sales-trader, I would be curious to know what the trend in revenues per station has been like in your product, and how it has been affected by new technologies and shopping/matching facilities!

Have the flows become less visible?

Do customers shop you and then match elsewhere?

Do you steer your own smaller clients into in-house electronic routing alternatives?

Do you make your book available electronically to anyone, or advertise your spread actively?

Thanks either way,

eLROY
Old 02-11-2002, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Javelin, do you work on a high-visibility desk

Leroy, you forgot to ask him if he loves his wife and if he has a lover on the side, haha. I would be surprised if anyone gave you this kind of information, so many trading desks consider this as "proprietary" as it gets. After all, everyone has Bloomberg, not everyone has customers calling in giving flow and depth information.

As for the comment about short-term trading, that is the problem. Too many people trying to chase pennies in a world where everyone has the same info. I can't imagine how anyone earns much money out of currencies without playing for longer-term horizons and/or doing a lot of arbitrage with the help of plenty of people on a team and some very good software backing them up.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:22 PM

Default proprietary?? I don\'t follow you...

Yes, not everybody has visibility up the customer supply chain. But I was not asking Javelin to post which of his clients were doing what today, to spread his visibility around the Internet!

There is nothing proprietary, it is a well-known fact, that with smaller margins, many trading desks are attempting to funnel smaller tickets into the low-touch/automated channel, at the same time as preserving their analog relationships with these same clients for other quid-pro-quos and carpool exchanges.

But most trading information is price-implicit, and compressed into a single front-point along the time axis. And increased automation decreases time-axis visibility, and increases reliance on time-series deductions from the ticker, at the same time as making that information more symmetric across participants, as you pointed out.

So margins have been collapsing. Some in these forums have suggested that the way to stay out front is to push into more esoteric, higher-margin products, and away from Nasdaq dealering, cookie-cutter CP, et cetera. If you manufacture the product, if you build the deck, you own the information, and it creates a self-perpetuating liquidity magnet. In other words, if you synthesize the original deck out of other instruments, or you have unique pricing expertise... I won't go into that

So basically my question is what are they doing at Javelin's shop to maintain margins? And this is not "proprietary" information, rather it is promoted at financial-services conferences and sold to clients every day! How are they creating a positive flow-path for information, how are they maintaining the polarity of natural collection and dissemination barriers within the institution/client relationship, at the same time as taking advantage of automation efficiencies made possible with new technologies?

Put differently, how do you reduce friction for transactions, but maintain friction in information, to keep your competitors from leaning on your data then undercutting you, or pennying you? How do you stop your clients from spreading price-implicit spores of your "proprietary" data all over the Internet?

Or is this even a problem? I'd like some help trying to picture it

eLROY