Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Flopping a set and the board gets ugly

Table is fairly loosey goosey with many people seeing flops. BB how shown himself to be 25/10/2 over about 50 hands.

I'm wondering what people think of my turn donk. My plan was to check raise the turn, but I hated the turn card and felt like I needed to ensure it did not get checked around out of fear someone had a straight.

Thoughts?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls.

River: (13 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 08-25-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Flopping a set and the board gets ugly

I think if you are going to check this flop with this many people you should be doing so with the intention of check raising to thin the field. I like the rest though.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:12 AM

raise the flop.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:58 AM

I would lead the flop, figuring I couldn't protect my hand very well anyway and I might as well start trying to build a big pot.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:08 AM

On the turn, there are 46 unknown cards. There are also 10 cards (other than yours) that people found a reason to call with on the flop, and you're drawing if any of those 10 cards are one of the eight available 9's or 4's.

I actually think I might just check-call here. You may not get raised by a 4, but I'm worried a 9 is out there somewhere, and I think I'd like to see the river as cheaply as possible.

I'll admit, though, that it doesn't seem like a 9 was out there this time (or a 4, either).
Old 08-25-2005, 04:10 AM

Dude, bet that flop, then a bunch of the guys in the middle call, and hopefully CO raises, and then we 3-bet and then $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, bet that flop, then a bunch of the guys in the middle call, and hopefully CO raises, and then we 3-bet and then $$$$$$$$$$$$.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-25-2005, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. We know everybody here is going to have some sort of draw, so make them pay for it. If you boat, then you are going to take down a huge multi-way pot. If you don't boat up, you can minimize losses by check/calling if the board gets this scary.

Overall this is one of the biggest +EV situations you can have in low-limit poker; you have an equity edge against many opponents who are locked in with any sort of draw, so you better push it as hard and as fast as you can when you have the chance (ie, this flop).
Old 08-25-2005, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-25-2005, 08:18 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

it has already been said, but you need to play the flop much faster in this situation.