Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Making irrational calls and raises. I do it, do you?

One of my biggest poker leaks is making a call/raise all-in in tournament situations that I KNOW I shouldn't do but somehow in the heat of the moment, convince myself to do.

Does anybody else just out of the blue, go insane? Any idea why this happens? Usually it is after I've been playing for a while in a tournament.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Making irrational calls and raises. I do it, do you?

Sometimes that happens to me toward the end of a tournament, especially if I'm a bit tilted by someone who has been both aggressive and lucky ("he can't have a good hand AGAIN, my A3o is good here...").

Last week I somehow ended up allin (~750 chips) preflop with AQo in level 2 of a Party SNG (30 chip big blind) for no reason at all. I think I just had a mental lapse and momentarily thought I was shortstacked on the bubble or something and re-raised allin.

I instantly knew I'd done something really stupid. I stopped playing for the day after that...
Old 10-24-2005, 06:57 PM

I do this all of the time. Last night in a home game tourney, I have top two pair after the flop. I bet big, villain calls weakly. The turn makes a flush possible out there. Villan quickly checks and I KNOW that he has a flush, but I quickly bet and he re-raises all in, and of course I call.

I think the problem is not relaxing. If I were to pause and wait five seconds before making a decision, I would lay it down.

But my point is: you are not the only one.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:50 PM

I always do spur-of-the-moment things, so as you can imagine I had a hard time taming this same beast.

I just take few secs, I force myself to. Believe me, the difference between taking 0 secs to decide and 3 secs to decide is HUGE on the bankroll.

I've found that the hands I'm in that I really need to think about are usually the ones I shouldn't be in.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:02 PM

Yep,

this is one of my big problems.

I played 6 hours of really solid poker the other night.

Nothing special just picking good spots and steadily increasing my original buy in to 5X.

Then in one moment of insanity all gone.

The funny thing was I knew what the right play was but i still pushed every dollar in when a good reraise that i could still get away from would have been much better.