Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 07:42 PM

Default What to do with KK here

9 handed at Commerce 400 NL game.
I am in the BB with red kings. Blinds are 5-10. Loose action. UTG, somewhat new player, so far seems pretty solid, raises to 30. He has 625, I have him covered by a few hundred. 5 players call. I reraise another 75. He reraises another 100. Everyone folds to the button who has $280. He thinks for a long time and calls, leaving him with about 100 bucks.
What to do here?
I feel like there's a good chance he has aces here, but his 100 rereraise could have just been to isolate with me because had he called the 75, everyone else would have as well.
If I raise him another 100, he would just call if he had aces so I still wouldn't know where I stood.

After a couple minutes I called the 100.
Flop came 249 with 2 hearts. I check, he thinks for a few seconds and pushes all in his remaining 430. Button calls with his last hundred bucks. What do you do here?
Old 08-26-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Re: What to do with KK here

call and usually win a huge pot (vs the idiots in this game)
Old 08-26-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am in the BB with red kings. Blinds are 5-10. Loose action. UTG, somewhat new player, so far seems pretty solid, raises to 30. He has 625, I have him covered by a few hundred. 5 players call. I reraise another 75. He reraises another 100. Everyone folds to the button who has $280. He thinks for a long time and calls, leaving him with about 100 bucks.
What to do here?
I feel like there's a good chance he has aces here, but his 100 rereraise could have just been to isolate with me because had he called the 75, everyone else would have as well.
If I raise him another 100, he would just call if he had aces so I still wouldn't know where I stood.

Flop came 249 with 2 hearts. I check, he thinks for a few seconds and pushes all in his remaining 430. Button calls with his last hundred bucks. What do you do here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you call the flop 3-bet with stacks that are not that deep, you've decided he doesn't have AA, so you must get all-in if an A doesn't flop.

You're getting better than 2:1 on this flop, so you only need to be good 1/3 of the time to make the call.

So call already.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:25 AM

There's about $1470 in the poy(If my addition is correct).You have about $650, according to what you said earlier. You're not really considering throwing your pocket K's away, are ya?
Old 08-27-2005, 04:27 AM

The correct play here is to timeout disconnect, hope you take down whats in there and then walk away never playing poker again because YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!! I'm amazed, ehem, EMBARRASSED, you're even asking this question?!?!

First off, in a loose 5-10 game its raised to $30 with 5 callers and you only reraise to $105? At this point, say a small prayer only 2 other people saw this flop.

Second, the pot odds analysis speaks for itself as far as that guy's last $100 is concerned.

Third, there are times you can't be scared to push with kings. You will run into aces sometimes, but you know what? In live games people will push with Jacks, Queens, AK and sometimes AQ . . .all of which you're a favorite to.

Fourth and finally, how were you gonna play this hand against the short stacks if an ace hit the flop???

Go All-In Phillips on this hand
John
Old 08-27-2005, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What to do here?

[/ QUOTE ]

given stack depths this is such an easy preflop push.

fim
Old 08-27-2005, 05:01 AM

Default Re: What to do with KK here, let me explain my thought process

The overall consensus seems to be an easy pf push or easy push on the flop. But I don't think it's that simple.

Let me first address the criticism regarding reraising only another 75 bucks. It was a loose table as far as people calling one decent sized raise preflop. However, when someone reraises significantly, especially so that the total is now 105 (his 30 and my 75) they are much more hesitant to call.
My 75 raise at this game was enough to weed out most hands.

Second, when he rereraised another 100, I knew that there was NO way that he held jacks, aq, or even ak. None. I played with him long enough to know that he would not do that. It was clearly queens or aces (and minutely possibly kings). And if I had to say right there, it felt like aces because raising it from 105 to 205 is inviting me to call.

And if I reraise all in before the flop, he was a good enough player to fold those queens in a heartbeat. So it does me NO GOOD to reraise all in.

Third, on the ragged flop, I am in the same situation preflop. If I push, he will not call with queens. He just won't. If I am truly pot committed as it is, the only chance I have to win is if he bets and I call, because there's no way he's calling with a worse hand if I bet first. As it was, the odds of him having queens dwindled way down when he made it that extra 100 to go preflop. Is my thinking out of line here? Does anyone here regularly play the 400 NL game at Commerce?

The action is big but when it comes to big preflop action and semi-deep stacks, it's usually premium hands that are going up against each other. Usually, even queens manage to get out of the way in a pf raising war. These players are better than online players who push with pairs and 2 high cards like they're in a tourney.

Haven't you guys let go of kings pf before? I've only done it twice but was right both times. Was very very close to going 3 for 3.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:45 AM

lol you might want to tell us about your opponent in an original post in the future if you want us to take your read of said player into account when dispensing our brilliant advice

my new advice:

youre a [censored] idiot for managing to play with someone that good in the goddamn $400 5/10 commerce game! your game selection is atrocious! table change! immediately!
Old 08-27-2005, 07:57 AM

So I shouldn't play in a game where there is 1 solid player at my table? Excellent advice, I truly am a fool.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i posted a hand with incomplete, illogical info and now im going to be a whiny little nit about it when all i've done is couch an i lost money boo hoo in a strategy post so i can waste people's time and show how awesome i am.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> it must be hard waking up every day as you </font>

fim