Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Question for the Pros

sorry if this topic is getting a little repetitive, however, I'd like as many opinions as I can get so I thought some of the players in this forum can help me.

I recently graduated from college after a break in between schools and I've yet to line up a job. In fact, I'm not planning to find one as I'd like to really try to make poker my sole source of income. I want to turn 'pro'. Whatever that means. Anyhow, I decided that I want to set aside a fixed amount of money and work from there. If I bust, I bust, and I won't have any regrets because my only regret would be that I didn't try being a pro at all. These days, I play on a wide spread of levels, anywhere from 2-3 to 20-40 blinds. I haven't made the best decisions and I plan to seriously tone down my 'gamble' factor and play at the limit in which my bankroll allows me to play.

I figure I can start making a decent living playing NL $400 and $600 online, while taking a shot at something bigger every once in a while. Live, I like to play 5-10 blind game that has a $500 restricted buy-in (min/max). There's also another pretty good one that has a 5-5 blind in which you can buy-in anywhere from 300-500. I want to build up a proper bankroll before I move up to a regular 10-20 Commerce game or the like.

My question is, assuming I'm a winning player, let's say an 'average' winning player, what do you think my bankroll should be playing at these limits, online and live? Please state a bankroll for both options such as an exact figure amount for online and live play or in terms of buy-ins. Also, how many months worth of expenses should I have on the side besides my bankroll?

One last thing, if you could mention the best and worst feeling by being a pro player I'd like to hear it. Whether it's the freedom, money and/or instability, grind, please share. You can PM me if you like.

BTW, I don't know many 'pros' so I'm asking my questions here. It may look a little naive or stupid for that matter, but I really want to learn as much as possible, about the life and the game. Perhaps I'll be able to find some people to really discuss hands with. That'll be great.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Question for the Pros

for the games you mentioned i think 30K is alright..
the best part about playing poker is the $$$
the worst part is the STRRRESS...
Old 06-18-2005, 05:32 AM

Your BR should be at least 30 x max buy in any limit you play.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:37 AM

30K is a very big roll for 400 and 600 NL but better safe than sorry. I think 15-20K could be enough if you know what you're doing and don't play scared when you drop 5 buyins in a short period of time or suffer from the common tilt disease.

I'm not a pro, I still got a 9-5 job. I have plans of taking a year off and seeing if I can make it. I'm 34 with a wife and kid so the decision is not easy. I play the levels you mentioned at party and grind about 100-200 an hour multitabling on monthly average. Games are easy if you just quit when the deck gets cold or the fishy fags get super lucky and not tilt away your money.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:24 AM

I admire your courage but I think you should pursue a Masters while you are trying to go pro. It certainly won't hurt your future to get an education in the mean time.

***Edited to say that I'm not a pro but I think I could be -but I also think I can make more money in other endeavors (other than poker).
Old 06-18-2005, 07:16 AM

I've just decided to go pro, while I'm still in college though. I'm switching from full-time student, to part-time (ie 1 class / semester) while I finish off my degree. I was just doing too poorly in school b/c of my poker addiction.

The best part is the money and the freedom (hours). Another part I like is the ego boost. I feel like such a friggen big shot.

The worst part is the emotional rollercoaster you go on and the stress.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:05 AM

I'm in the same boat as alot of you guys

20, just finishing up my senior year of college supposing I can find classes where the Prof wont fail me for inadequate attendance...due to poker of course

I'm playing the 600NL on a 20k bankroll and the swings can be a bit disconcerting.

I recently took a shot at 1000NL via empire, nastynasty swings in big pots where I was a favorite, AK flush draw v AA for 3k pot, set under set hitting a one outer for 2k, OESF draw with pair v top pair for 2.5k. Yeah so dont do that lol. Just stay at your normal level and the going will be much smoother incase you run poorly.

im tempted to say the best part is still seeing my friends suffering through crappy part time jobs, seeing older individuals hating the 9-5, and realizing I'm on track to make 50k in a twelve month period.

actually the best part was playing in vegas and schooling people. nipping huge pots. yeah thats where the thrill is for me.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:34 AM

$50,000 in 12 months? Um, isn't that a bit low for $600 NL? How often do you play?
Old 06-18-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've just decided to go pro, while I'm still in college though. I'm switching from full-time student, to part-time (ie 1 class / semester) while I finish off my degree. I was just doing too poorly in school b/c of my poker addiction.

The best part is the money and the freedom (hours). Another part I like is the ego boost. I feel like such a friggen big shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

its fairly lonely, too.