Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2004, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Living overseas, playing poker online, and banging exotic women....

I saw one of my friends miss getting stabbed by about an inch in Thailand. Not Bangkok, Surat Thani. A guy just suddenly lashed out at him when we were catching the ferry to Ko Pha-Ngan.

If you're gonna do this keep a large portion of your bankroll for bribes should you get caught. When I was last there the bribe for being caught on drug offences was about $5k.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Living overseas, playing poker online, and banging exotic women...

Full moon party ?
Old 09-04-2004, 03:52 PM

That party was one of the best nights of my life. Everyone should do that. Well other than nearly dying on the journey home as every boat was too full
Old 09-04-2004, 04:48 PM

Jeez I guess whoring it up in Thailand is a more common experience than I thought.

That said, Thai women are famous as the most beautiful women in the world, so I can see the temptation. I'd just as soon live elsewhere than the states myself, so I can see that temptation too. It's so incredibly cheap to live very well in so many places, and to me a lot of the orient is really fascinating.

It seems you'd definitely want to be careful though. There are very active Islamic terrorists in the Phillipines and Thailand for example, and in many places around the world they just hate or look down on and turn the cold shoulder to Westerners period. Heck, even in America I constantly bump into people who think that just because I'm a white guy I have money; I have no doubt I'd look like a walking feast to bums and crooks elsewhere. I'd be kind of chicken to live in a situation without excellent security, of the non-bribable variety.

It does sound great if you can get it going right, though.

By the way, what's the rest of the story of the guy who got almost stabbed but missed by an inch? Did the stabber just decide to stop stabbing and walk away quietly?
Old 09-04-2004, 06:36 PM

I have heard that you either pay no or less tax on your gambling winnings in the UK (anyone here to back that up?). I think that if true this would be a great spot to live. Even, though I believe that living expenses are high, certainly in London.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:46 PM

I've thought of the exact same idea but was looking at Central and South America instead of Asia.

It's dirt cheap to live in some of these places but of course crime, safety, and language barriers hold me back. Besides, I'm not willing to give up my job to play poker in another country when I can play poker in my country.

One thing you have to look at is the Visa issue. Some countries allow you to be in the country on a tourist visa for only 90 days. Some you may be able to exit and return to the country and get another 90 days (Travel by boat/bus, stay overnight in neighboring country, and then come back.)

You also need to look at how to get USD into the country. The best way I've seen is to have an regular American bank account at Citibank, HSBC, etc. Then have the bank 'open' the ATM card so you can use it world wide and have them waive the fee. Your winnings go directly into your acct and you withdraw it at your local ATM. I don't know about Thailand but being a tourist attraction, I'm sure there are plenty of ATMs.

And as always when abroad, know where and how to get to your home nation's consulate!

Oh ya, and watch out for stds. It's all fun and games until you start pissing out green puss.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:29 PM

I'm a fellow hedonist, and have heard from reputable sources that Pattaya is the REAL fleshpot of Thailand. It's just a two hour ride from bangkok. Get your ass to Pattaya son, and thank me later...
Old 09-05-2004, 08:56 PM

Blah.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Short fly from Bangkok..

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a fellow hedonist, and have heard from reputable sources that Pattaya is the REAL fleshpot of Thailand. It's just a two hour ride from bangkok. Get your ass to Pattaya son, and thank me later...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-05-2004, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard that you either pay no or less tax on your gambling winnings in the UK (anyone here to back that up?). I think that if true this would be a great spot to live. Even, though I believe that living expenses are high, certainly in London.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with Australia. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2004, 10:50 PM

I'm sure many of us are interested in hearing more about Phnom Penh. Please elaborate...