Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: HULA ML Cleanup

[ QUOTE ]
This is really lame. I mean really really lame. I can't emphasize enough the lameness of this proposed "solution". Honestly how difficult is it to play two one hour heads-up matches over the next two weeks, I sincerely doubt that there is a single person out there that couldn't make that committment. Lets bring this to its proper conclusion, I don't want to have a sour taste in my mouth every time I remember the disorganized [censored]-show that this turned into.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ok with either of the solutions proposed, but please don't try to judge whether I can carve out a couple of hours over the next 2 weeks. I've got a substitute lined up, but I'm personally not able to do it.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is really lame. I mean really really lame. I can't emphasize enough the lameness of this proposed "solution". Honestly how difficult is it to play two one hour heads-up matches over the next two weeks, I sincerely doubt that there is a single person out there that couldn't make that committment. Lets bring this to its proper conclusion, I don't want to have a sour taste in my mouth every time I remember the disorganized [censored]-show that this turned into.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ok with either of the solutions proposed, but please don't try to judge whether I can carve out a couple of hours over the next 2 weeks. I've got a substitute lined up, but I'm personally not able to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've made 7 posts in this thread in the last 28 hours. I get it, you don't want to play.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:57 PM

Making a post takes less than a minute & can do it right while I'm working - playing takes a chunk of time - big difference.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Making a post takes less than a minute & can do it right while I'm working - playing takes a chunk of time - big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its pretty obvious that if you really had zero time to play a HU match you wouldn't be on this website. If you are posting on this website there are a million other small distractors as well. You arent working straight 6 am to midnight so how hard it would be to take an hour off twice in the next two (well probabably more) weeks.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I just want to be able to conclude this in the proper way, with playoffs and a champion.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:02 PM

Sorry, if it leaves a bad taste in your mouth but many of us are tired of this league dragging on and are ready for it to end. Again, my preference is to chop up the prize pool.

By the way, in arguing with bds you are trying to get her to go directly against her own best interest. As I pointed out upthread her team is tied with mine in team victories and match victories. The match records are 15-15, no other team at 4-2 has a worse record. My team and hers played in the final week, my team won. If we go to the playoffs, her team is out. By the way, forfeits played no small role in other teams having a superior match record to mine and hers.

If her options are for a 5 way chop of the money or a 4 team playoff, how do you think she, and her team, is going to vote?

regards,

raisins
Old 10-21-2005, 05:56 PM

I'm mostly with MrFeelNothin that it's kind of silly to just say "OMG. It's so pointless. Lets just end it."

It's not that tough to arrange the matches.

I disagree though with his take on bds.
If anyone can't play then sobeit. That's how it goes.

We should clearly have been much harsher on matches that weren't getting played throughout the season instead of letting the delats go.

If someone is out of town and they can't play it...then they forfeit after a certain deadline. Doesn't matter if they are sick or dead or in a car-crash or have other job commitments or are out of town or what.
It's only HULA....a forfeit isn't the worst thing in the world.

However, holding everything up to try to accomodate every single player's schedule clearly IS a bad idea.
It just doesn't make sense.

In other words, in order to maintain a smooth-running season everyone just has to accept that there will be forfeits involved. Because EVERY week there will likely be SOMEBODY who is unable to play or just gets lazy.

Anyway - I'm tangenting again.
If we want to cancel it I can live with it.
I just don't see any pressing reason why we should (since most of us are still present and accounted for) or why so many are advocating that course.
But again, I can live with it.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:15 PM

Raisins, I agree with everything you said except the first two sentences. Of course she wants to chop it up but that doesn't make "being busy" a legitimate argument.

By the way, team ihardlyknowher did not benefit from a single forfeit victory.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:01 PM

let's just end this folks. i wouldn't be surprised if some folks have died from age-related causes since the last HULAML week concluded.

i also don't feel there's anyone in place to fairly determine the last playoff spot. does dave's team get the spot over BDS's because of somewhat arbitrary forfeits applied at the last second? -- forfeits that weren't instituted in similar situations earlier in the HULAML season. are the team records even correct?

also, i personally feel like implications that BDS's position stems from her own self-interest are incorrect and out-of-line. she's consistently been one of the strongest voices to run this thing in an honorable, and efficient manner. we've played a couple of times at 10-20/15-30 so i doubt the money is that significant to her.

so let's be done with this. sum it up as a good, albeit imperfect experience and implement changes so it runs even better next time. my reasons for ending it now are below

1. who decides who gets the last playoff spot?
2. do we institute new rules for the playoffs regarding forfeits, timelines, etc? who comes up w/these rules and enforces them?
3. have we lost some players/interest as things have lagged over the past 2 months? do we have any confidence that we can round up all the team members to complete this? i have no desire to do the playoffs over the next 2 months.

figuring out the above sounds like a pain in the a$$ w/no structure in place.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My apologies to everyone. My health has gone to shambles and taken everything else with it, and I really blew it here.

As far as I'm concerned, chopping it up and being done with seems like a fine idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you feel better.

Are you still willing to see this through, what ever the decision is?

If yes, I think that you should be the one making the decision between playing it though, or chopping up right now.

Personally, I think that we should play it. So what if a team was forfeit? So what if some player were forfeit? I don't want to be harsh, but had they made an effort to schedule their matches, they wouldn't be forfeit.

So what if a team benefited from that? (we didn't, by the way)That's the competition, that's the fun, that's life.

4 teams are going to the playoffs, and will play, and anyone who doesn't play will be forfeit, at your discretion.

But again, what ever decision you make, I'll accept, and I think everyone should accept, because we all agreed that you take over.

What do you think?
Old 10-22-2005, 12:22 AM

thanks wonk for the kinds words. We can end it however the majority see fit, and I won't have a complaint. The only point I was trying to make was that many of the rest of the participants have been silent and remiss for weeks and weeks and weeks - and it just struck me as some kind of wierd poker god irony that all of a sudden when I'm swamped at work, it's gonna revive. Kind of like it feels when you are running bad and having river after river go against you. That's all I was saying. For me, it's not about the money. It was about putting together a team and then doing the best we could against other good players - that was the fun of it. I'm not intending to keep winnings anyway - that's "found money" and the kind of thing I generally target for donation. Maybe as a group we should just donate the entire prize pool to a worthwhile charity. Heaven knows many people in this world in much worse shape than I suspect most of us are - we are all lucky - we can play poker for fun and (hopefully) make money while we're at it. Good night.