Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: More good news about Iraq.

[ QUOTE ]
Watch the film 1984 and all will be revealed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very likely that I read the book before you did: we read the book in junior high school, but that was over 30 years ago and I'm afraid my memory isn't that perfect. So, what's the reference to choco?

BTW, the same teacher also had us read Catch-22 and Lord of the Flies. Good junior high school reading, I guess.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I understand correctly, you tried to make a subtle literary reference, and mocked MMMMMM for missing it, based on the movie version of 1984?? I searched the online version of the book and found no instance of the word "choco"...
Old 10-19-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I understand correctly, you tried to make a subtle literary reference, and mocked MMMMMM for missing it, based on the movie version of 1984?? I searched the online version of the book and found no instance of the word "choco"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think that's what he tried to do, heh.

I'll go ahead and guess that choco is short for chocolate. Now if he had made this reference and we were all sitting around carrying on this conversation back in the 70's, I'm sure I would remember that detail, whatever it is about;-) But I suppose early senility must be setting in, because for the life of me I can't remember a reference to choco in that book...

...or, maybe he meant "ration" was the reference. That might be it, but that might indicate quite a number of other literary works too, hmmm....
Old 10-19-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had actualy read the book (instead of searching the internet version LOL) the reference would have still been immediately and obviously clear even if I am not quoting the book verbatim. I suggested Metc watch the film as this would be quicker than reading the book. If he were to do either my intentions (to parody the good news Iraq thread) would be immediately made clear. As it is a refrence to how news is presented in the Orwelian world of 1984.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suggested Metc watch the film as this would be quicker than reading the book. If he were to do either my intentions (to parody the good news Iraq thread) would be immediately made clear. As it is a refrence to how news is presented in the Orwelian world of 1984.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I've already explained: I read the book probably about 30+ years ago, around the age of 13 or 14--yet all you are *continuing* to do is make snide remarks when I ask for clarification to help place your exact reference?

Yes, I remember the various "Ministries,", and "Doublespeak" and "Newspeak" and all that...but no reference to choco rations.

But never mind. I don't see why I should continue trying to discuss this with someone who is obviously merely trying to be an ass. Sadly this does not reflect at all well on your personality. And unfortunately, that's not doublespeak.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:52 PM

I've read the book (although I'm not obsessed with it like the vast majority of teenagers and twentysomethings), i'm just trying to figure out why you wrote "choco" instead of chocolate. I'm assuming that's what they say in the movie, which makes it a bit weird. It could be that you feel a need to abbreviate words at random, which would also be a bit weird.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:14 PM

I know you read it ages ago. Anyone who had read it recently or seen the film recently would get my reference I wouldnt expect anyone who had read it 30 years ago to get the refrence. So the word I should have used was reread, my deepest apologies. I am not making snide remarks just suggesting a course of action to remedy your mis- understanding of my intial post. If you think Im going look Metc hasnt read 1984 snarf chuckle then you must be deeply sensitive.

Did you and Bobman meet at pedants and hypocrites anyomous?
Old 10-19-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read the book (although I'm not obsessed with it like the vast majority of teenagers and twentysomethings), i'm just trying to figure out why you wrote "choco" instead of chocolate. I'm assuming that's what they say in the movie, which makes it a bit weird. It could be that you feel a need to abbreviate words at random, which would also be a bit weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Newspeak dictionary.

Chocorat: Chocolate ration. The chocolate ration in 1983 was 30 grams per week. (For comparison, a standard Hershey's Chocolate Bar is 43 grams) In the year 1984, the chocolate ration went up to 25 grams per week. Winston himself is charged with the task of re-writing history to make this little feat possible.
NOTE: The book differs slightly from the movie on this. In the book, the the ration was changed to 25 grams as well, but instead or changing history to say that it went up to 25, Winston simply altered the original 'no-reduction' pledge to state that the ration would have to come down in April.

So instead of abbreivating at random I didnt abbrevaite enough. The word used in the book is "Chocorat". So I got the chocolate to choco right but didnt missed abbreviating ration to rat.

I assume you know what pawned means?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:51 PM

This is a silly argument, but I will point out that neither "choco" nor "chocorat" appear in the book 1984. There's a searchable version on that website of yours.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a silly argument, but I will point out that neither "choco" nor "chocorat" appear in the book 1984. There's a searchable version on that website of yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, now this is getting actually funny.