Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Interesting 2-4 Hand

hello shaman,

sometimes we make things more difficult than the have to be.

i think there is only one question to answer here and everything else flows from that: pre flop, what hands does a real tight player in middle position re-raise a 6X's BB raise, with still 4-5 active players to be heard from who could still go over the top of him ???

i think pretty much AA or KK.

then on an A,9,5 flop with no straight or flushes he bets 30 bucks ??? isn't that a little too weird ???

you have an aggressive table persona and were the origonal raiser and you check the flop ??? wouldn't you call that an unusual play in the eyes of the tight player when there was no obvious free card to be had ??? that certainly reeks of a slowplay, and in this case the villain knows you don't have aces.

i think this illustrates brunson's philosophy of playing sets relatively fast. it stays within your agressive persona. your opponents expect you to bet when you raise pre-flop. when you don't it send up smoke signals. the bet also gives you information. had you bet out a pot sized bet on the flop and the villain either called or went over the top, you would have him squarely on top set. it would have saved you 2/3rds of your stack. if he was on KK, with an EP raiser betting the pot with an overcard on the flop, he certainly has to consider folding.

in general, excluding a rare machivellian player and especially with a tight player, a person's bets mean exactly what they are. a real tight player re raising a 6X's the BB raise implies a big pair. the weird bet on the flop says trap. put the 2 together and you get trouble for your nines.