Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2004, 08:40 PM

Default First hand post, small/middle pair

First hand post so fire away.
I'm never sure what to do with pairs in this range.
Was I right to keep betting this one with no raises?

Luckydog

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

River: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 10-17-2004, 10:04 PM

Default Re: First hand post, small/middle pair

I'm not good at playing these hands. Actually not sure if you are either. They are tough to play. Betting on the flop is maybe Ok to see where you stand even though you are probably beat. You are def beat on the river and that was a bad call. Why did you think your 6's may be good? Any reads? Was it worth a crying call?
Old 10-18-2004, 04:31 AM

Hello and welcome.

You're sitting on an underpair. You have 2 outs if you're behind. There's 4 SB in the pot. The board cards are right in the sweet spot. I'm happy check/folding.

I can at least understand what you were trying to do on the flop and turn, but what were you thinking on the river? Not only does MP1 have to be flat out bluffing, CO can't have caught any part of the board either. They may not be showing aggression, but they've called 2 streets so far... and one of your few hopes (that at least one was chasing an ace) just got squashed. Did they both miss their draws and bet and call anyway? Pretty easy fold my friend.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:28 AM

It occurred to me that my comment might seem harsher than I intended. I wrote it with a smile on my face, remembering all the similarly inexplicable plays I've made. Err... make.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:39 AM

small pot, underpair, check-fold the flop. you're drawing to one of the 2 last sixes, you probably aren't ahead. By the river i'm convinced you aren't.

The turn bet is pretty bad, as is the river call. But that's what *we're* here to help with.

In a couple of weeks, i'll dredge up a couple of my terrible plays from the past. It'll be enlightening to see how good we all get with help from the forum.

Keep posting hands!
Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 10-18-2004, 06:39 AM

small pot, poor position, weak hand likely to be beat by the river if ahead, drawing to 2 outs if behind.

You only bet these types of hands on tight tables when you are in late position and a couple of people have checked to you. If betting will make them fold then its okay sometimes.

Here you have 2 people to act the board is coordinated so not only does a J or T beat you but hands like Q9 KQ 98 all beat you if they hit a straight or even if they hit 1 pair.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:05 AM

Your first post didn't seem harsh at all.
Rather it was full of information for someone playing only about 6 weeks now.
As ncboiler said, "I'm not good at playing these hands" so I normally just fold and call it a day.
I wanted to try something different than automatically folding. I thought that if I bet and someone had a big hand (which wouldn't take much) I would get raised and could fold.
I guess I wasn't prepared for someone (MP1) to flop a full house and call all the way to the river.
I have been having a problem with two pair getting beat, not seeing it coming and was trying to find a way to reduce number of times it happens.
I am also very weak (PT total agression .35) and have been trying to correct that.
Guess I went to far :-)
I play a lot at Pacific (trying to clear bonus) so perhaps I'm used to people calling all the way with nothing.
So much to learn. :-)
Thanks for the help and info.

Luckydog
Old 10-18-2004, 07:22 AM

Many thanks Peter.
Ok so I bet to see if someone would raise so I could fold.
You are saying its better to check and see if someone bets for the same reason and it saves me a bet. Is that right?
Even though the check/fold would have saved a bet, was I totally out of line to expect someone with a much better hand to raise after the flop?
I am very glad the all of you are here and willing to help a rookie try to make his education a little less expensive [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Luckydog

Luckydog
Old 10-18-2004, 07:31 AM

I have been having a lot of problems with two pair getting beat.
Even when I was delt AK once and AKX came on the flop I got waxed by someone who had KK and didn't see it coming. I have been trying to understand how to get information but I guess I need to nail down the basics of position and odds first.
I'm not fast enough in my head yet to do the pot odds/hand odds calculations. Obviously I need a shift in priorities.
Thanks for the help

Luckydog
Old 10-18-2004, 08:42 AM

JJT is a very coordinated board; straight draws will chase, someone with a J will slowplay and cost you lots of bets. Someone with a T will play it meekly fearing a J. All of these hands can hurt you more between the turn and river.

You're not saving 1 small bet by check-folding the flop, you're saving 2.5 big bets as you'd have to call the turn and river!

Your hand was just not strong enough to bet here.

Regards,
Pete Harris