Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: interesting WPT tournament hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think pro played horribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else hate pro's PF call more than any other part of this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

No... If hero has AK and Joe catches two pair against him, he has a chance to break the hero. Also, if hero has QQ, Joe can bust him on a K high flop b/c hero could be flustered from this mistake and get him to put in his whole stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, when the flop comes Kxx, Joe should stack his opponent if he has QQ, but fold if his opponent's got AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm saying is that the hero's state of mind is off. He will tend to overplay QQ here b/c he doesn't want to be bluffed, and he may fold AK for the same reason. Obviously, Joe is going to have to fun with his read after the flop and figure out if he thinks his hand is good or not. But I don't think his preflop call is bad b/c of the likely frustrated state of mind of hero. That's why this is poker, not cards.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:18 PM

Default From the Donkey\'s Mouth....

First of all, one correction - the young pro was not Joe Cassidy, but a very good (and aggressive) young Swedish pro, Matts Rahmn. Joe was directly to my left and I discussed the hand with him (and Matts) afterwards - Soss was probably confused by that....

A few points:

1) This hand occured right after the dinner break and we had been playing together all day. I was playing very ABC and had only shown one hand (a flopped broadway that ended up getting counterfeited), so my image is at least tight and probably W/T.

2) At the time I was sure that it was obvious I intended to raise PF and Joe and Matts both confirmed it.

3) Matts said afterwards he played it pretty badly and that my turn check made him lean towards AQ as a probable holding and that even if I did have AK there was a chance I would fold to strength.

4) Puking was a definite possibility. I tanked for what felt like forever but pretty much came to the same conclusion that MLG did - but would not have been surprised to have been going home.

5. You would think you would only do the accidental call thing once.....
Old 10-05-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else hate pro's PF call more than any other part of this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
T300 with position on Hero, I'd gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, the best thing about being UTG+1 is that you have position on UTG. That advice will be in my book. Volume II will address how you get rid of the rest of the table.

The difficulty of pro's decision on the flop illustrates why it's ugly to be in this hand. I hate the flat call, but raising is an expensive proposition with 4 players left to act.

Many people wouldn't play KJ from early position if they were first in. So why would you want to play it with the knowledge that UTG has a raising hand?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: From the Donkey\'s Mouth....

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, one correction - the young pro was not Joe Cassidy, but a very good (and aggressive) young Swedish pro, Matts Rahmn. Joe was directly to my left and I discussed the hand with him (and Matts) afterwards - Soss was probably confused by that..

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i confuse easily. Sorry.

[ QUOTE ]
5. You would think you would only do the accidental call thing once.....

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay, at least you didn't fold AA on a QQ5 board to the re-reraise getting 1.6:1.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:30 PM

what tourney was this?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:33 PM

the one you came in 10th

yes, i'm late to the party.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3) Matts said afterwards he played it pretty badly and that my turn check made him lean towards AQ as a probable holding

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me hate his play more. Thinking that someone with a weak-tight image bets into a family pot OOP with AQ on a KQx. At least trying to push someone off AK is respectable [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Also, if you have AQ here, why would he want to push? If I had a hole-card cam here and saw your AQ, I'd call flop, check behind on turn, and bet/raise any non-A, non-Q river (I guess the river decision's pretty obvious [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). Of course, this line is horrible if you actually have AK.

I think he out-thought himself into just about the worst line he could've taken.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:37 PM

I wasn't at the table so its hard to judge exactly what to do, but based on what was posted, I don't see myself folding AK here!

People do sometimes bet without top pair top kicker, a lot more than this forum seems to be suggesting in the early responses to this thread. Not everyone is a genius who understands that you obviously have AA and thus they can't ever bet without having it beat.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:40 PM

I was an internet donkey in a Bellagio satellite. I wonder how many of us have donked this way.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, the best thing about being UTG+1 is that you have position on UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oops, missed that he was UTG+1. Yeah, I'd probably fold KJ there.