Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Hand against a fellow 2+2er...

I rarely play NL cash games, but I decided last night to drive the sixty miles to play in a fellow 2+2er's home game, which is NL .25/.50. The play at the table was generally loose, and the host (seated on my immediate right) will sometimes play almost any two, and LAG it up at times with his better hands and better draws.

I believe that we were seven-handed for the following hand, after which he chuckled "I bet I will read about it tomorrow." Well, If you insist...

I have approx. $80 in front of me. Folded to Host in UTG+1 who limps, I raise to $3 (give or take .50) with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], folded back to Host who calls. Host appeared to have approx. $50 in front of him.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($6.75)

Host checks, I bet $8, Host checkraises to $20, I call.

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($46.75)

Host checks, I bet $15, Host calls.

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($76.75)

Host checks, I check behind.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Hand against a fellow 2+2er...

Dunno if I like the turn bet. At least it should let you a see a showdown for a cheaper price.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:36 AM

Just push the flop, it's probably a club draw or a lower pair. You're not going to fold for less than a pot sized bet on the turn once you call the flop, so just push it in, IMO. Unless you think he's stone cold bluffing, in which case I don't mind the call on the flop to let him bluff off the rest on the turn, but then you should push the turn once he checks. No reason to give free cards once you're pot stuck.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dunno if I like the turn bet. At least it should let you a see a showdown for a cheaper price.

[/ QUOTE ]

If its a 2+2er theyre probably looking for the turn to be checked and have a draw. Did he have something like the wheel gutshot and a club draw?
Old 07-08-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...the turn bet...should let you a see a showdown for a cheaper price.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was one reason this limit player bet the turn.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you going to fold when he pushes for $10 more? WTF?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably had at least $30 more in front of him on the turn--so if he checkraises me all-in, I'm getting approx. 6:1 to call for $15 more. I wouldn't have been happy calling, but I probably would have done so.

However, my point was that I thought the chances of my facing another checkraise were kind of slim here, for even if he had an ace, he knew me to be tight enough in this game so that I could easily have a bigger ace--especially when he wasn't able to push me off the flop.

Consequently, by betting the turn I wanted to make him pay if he was drawing, and hopefully allow me to see a cheap showdown if I so chose.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably had at least $30 more in front of him on the turn--so if he checkraises me all-in, I'm getting approx. 6:1 to call for $15 more. I wouldn't have been happy calling, but I probably would have done so.

However, my point was that I thought the chances of my facing another checkraise were kind of slim here, for even if he had an ace, he knew me to be tight enough in this game so that I could easily have a bigger ace--especially when he wasn't able to push me off the flop.

Consequently, by betting the turn I wanted to make him pay if he was drawing, and hopefully allow me to see a cheap showdown if I so chose.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you want a 'cheap' showdown when you're ahead. You're not folding if he pushes the turn, so just push it all in yourself. That way it goes in when you're behind but also when you're ahead. Your way, it all goes in when you're behind, but the last $10-$15 doesn't go in when you're ahead.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want a 'cheap' showdown when you're ahead. You're not folding if he pushes the turn, so just push it all in yourself. That way it goes in when you're behind but also when you're ahead. Your way, it all goes in when you're behind, but the last $10-$15 doesn't go in when you're ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're making a couple of assumptions with which I don't know if I agree:

1) That I have an easy call if I am checkraised again on the turn...and....

2) That he's going to likely checkraise the turn or push all-in on the river if he has a small ace.

Although I said in my initial post that this player could get LAGgy, he doesn't checkraise all that often--so I thought that the odds of my facing another checkraise on the turn were kind of slim--and probably not a good sign for my hand if it did occur. Furtermore, whereas I said I probably would have called another checkraise (say for for $15), it would have depended on exactly how much he did have. I would likely have folded to a turn checkraise if I would have needed to put in $25 or more. In addition, I believed that if I was up against a weak ace, I thought it was very possible that he would only call the turn bet and then check the river to me, meaning I will not automatically be forced to put in any more than the $15 on the turn if I was behind.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:57 PM

Get a count once he c/r the flop. Your line doesn't make sense. Think about what his possible holdings are and what the best line is for each. Also, think about what your possible holdings are and what HIS best line is for each. You will see that your turn play makes no sense whatsoever.