Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 10:19 PM

Default How did I play these trips?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (6.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

I assume I overplayed the river... but what about the rest of the hand? Should I have raised earlier?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: How did I play these trips?

i raise flop. barring that, you have to raise the turn.

river is fine. you lose to J9 or a slowplayed set pretty much.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:33 PM

With a low set like 4s I'm going after them on the flop, to thin the field, you've got half of them calling 2 bets.

If you're feeling perky, call the flop, but then definitely pop the turn. You've got to make it wrong for the OESDs and FDs to draw somewhere; QQ or a better set you're not folding, anyway, so you might as well find out they're there, now.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:40 PM

Raise the flop. What good as you doing by slow playing here? You aren't disguising your hand, you have a set, it disguises itself. The fact there ate two diamonds makes it even better to play it fast, since if someone is on a flush draw, they'll cold call (or cap) now, but won't on the river if they've missed their flush. You make made hands cold call two now instead of on the turn when they are much less likely to call two cold. People love to call with random junk, so just get them in the hand now so they'll be more likely to pay their big bet on the turn when all you are likely to pick up is an extra big bet from the CO on the turn, and may even get him to fold if his hand isn't so hot on the river. This is bad. Getting in extra bets on the flop is good.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:56 PM

How did you play this? Honestly? IMO, terrible. The time to bet like crazy was on the flop and turn, not on the river when there is a decent chance that you have let somebody draw out on you for free.

I would have played this hand the exact opposite that you did. I would have tried to get capped betting on the flop and turn and just called on the river.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:15 PM

you've gotta slowplay when you think ppl will fold, and the free or cheap cards you give them will give them a strong, but only 2 nd best hand. The flush draw on the flop doesn't make a draw that is 2nd best to yours, it makes a hand that can BEAT yours. You shouldn't slow play here because ppl WILL call your raise(s) because they have the odds to fill up the flush. Slowplaying is incorrect because you're hand is STILL vulnerable. Players will call you, so raise it now that you are ahead. Things can change on the turn/river, so get the money in NOW that you KNOW you are ahead. Slowplaying at microlimit is usually not advisable because so many opponenet will call anyways, even with 1,2,3 out draws! Not only will they chase their draws, now by raising you can further INCREASE your expectation, and win a mean sized pot!

Felipe
Old 06-25-2005, 11:35 PM

Ya... I guess I just wasn't thinking at all when I played this hand. You guys are all right, I basically did do the complete opposite of correct play here. Hopefully I will learn my lesson. Oh, and if you are wondering, he hit his straight on the turn, and waited til the river to play it strongly.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...he hit his straight on the turn, and waited til the river to play it strongly.

[/ QUOTE ]

He made a mistake on the flop and called an inside ST8 draw with 6 sb in the pot. He needs at least 9 (maybe 8). Had you raised, he would have made a worse mistake. It might seem oddly trivial now, you might think "why raise, he made his straight, I'm just saving money". But NOBODY KNEW BEFORE HAND that his '5' would hit on the turn. The odds are low that he would, let him *try* to hit his *near* miracle draw and let him pay thourgh the nose and a.s.s. for it!

[ QUOTE ]
Ya... I guess I just wasn't thinking at all when I played this hand. You guys are all right, I basically did do the complete opposite of correct play here. Hopefully I will learn my lesson.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] That's what 2+2 is for!