Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: My check-threebet runs smack into another player\'s check-cap...

I think there's some chance that MP2 planned to checkraise the Button with something like QQ and then went ahead and followed through despite encountering a lot more action than he expected. I think it's more likely that he has a set or AA. There are a lot of other hands we can't completely rule out, and by the river it is unfortunate that 99 and JJ are among them.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I would have called down after the flop check/cap, expecting to lose but hoping to see QQ or something worse (such as AT/AJ).
Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there's some chance that MP2 planned to checkraise the Button with something like QQ and then went ahead and followed through despite encountering a lot more action than he expected. I think it's more likely that he has a set or AA. There are a lot of other hands we can't completely rule out, and by the river it is unfortunate that 99 and JJ are among them.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I would have called down after the flop check/cap, expecting to lose but hoping to see QQ or something worse (such as AT/AJ).

[/ QUOTE ]

With this board after hero 3 bets (I'm assuming villain knows hero is a TAG), do you think he would value bet AA? I'm not sure I would after that river card...maybe that's weak, but I would really wonder what he was pumping there after his PF call.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

With this board after hero 3 bets (I'm assuming villain knows hero is a TAG), do you think he would value bet AA? I'm not sure I would after that river card...maybe that's weak, but I would really wonder what he was pumping there after his PF call.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were MP2 and had AA, Chesspain's check/3-bet would have scared me quite a bit. I'm not sure how I would have responded to it, but I probably would have capped in an effort to protect my hand (the pot is still 4-way at that point), which, given the board and the pot size, I would also worry would be futile (and I'd be even more worried that I was already behind).

Anyway, though, I also would have capped my AA preflop, and Chesspain doesn't have a read on MP2, so I think there's a good chance MP2 doesn't have much of a read on Chesspain either.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were MP2 and had AA, Chesspain's check/3-bet would have scared me quite a bit. I'm not sure how I would have responded to it, but I probably would have capped in an effort to protect my hand (the pot is still 4-way at that point), which, given the board and the pot size, I would also worry would be futile (and I'd be even more worried that I was already behind).

Anyway, though, I also would have capped my AA preflop, and Chesspain doesn't have a read on MP2, so I think there's a good chance MP2 doesn't have much of a read on Chesspain either.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's too late to edit, but I just realized you were probably talking about the river more than the flop.

Anyway, yes, I would have trouble finding a bet on the river with AA, on that board, after the previous action.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:09 PM

Chesspain,

I can't really argue with posflop since that check/cap is pretty scary. Not too many opponents do that with a hand you beat even with something like 9T, IMO.

As far as preflop, I just wanted to point out that if Button is paying attention he's going to be very concerned with you semi-cold calling 3 preflop. There aren't many hands you'll do that with really. I guess what I'm getting at is it seems like he'll be checking a flop like this through more often that usual with you in. I would be anyway. No way I'm betting AK or AQ on a 78T flop knowing there's a VERY good chance you'll be raising. Just a thought.

Chief
Old 06-22-2005, 07:47 AM

Default Results...

[ QUOTE ]
This really looks like TT to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-22-2005, 08:11 AM

Not capping pf is getting too cute IMHO.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think MP2's hand capping range from most likely to least likely is: TT, AA, KK, QQ/99, and JJ.

The flop action is extremely weird and also extremely unsettling. I'd also call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly my thinking on this
Old 06-22-2005, 08:56 AM

He 3-bet coldcalls preflop and check/caps after a preflop 3-bet coldcaller check/3-bets the flop. How could it be weak to just call that down? He's got a very good hand, like a set or AA, maybe even an unlikely straight.