Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Drinking tequila and trying to use a tight image to good effect...

Foxwoods 5-10 kill game. I've more than doubled my $400+ stack since sitting down 3-4 hours prior, and on at least two occasions, which includes the hand just before this one, opponents have made amazing laydowns to me heads-up on the river after I bet/3-bet on scary turns with the goods. Given my tight image, I have also been able to steal a couple of hands through naked aggression (e.g. raise two limpers with AJo, get two more coldcallers plus the limpers, and have everyone fold to me when I bet a K-rag-rag flop!). Indeed, it is obvious that I am at a table which is loose preflop and weak-tight post-flop...and most of them seem to think that every time I show aggression I have the goods.

Anyway, since I won the proir hand with a pot that was over $100, I am now UTG with the $10 kill blind.

I am dealt 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and check. Some non-descript member of the minion in MP calls, and the BB throws in another $10. The BB is a reasonably tight preflop player who fancies himself a TAG despite playing very weak-tight post-flop. Indeed, he plays as if he has read Jones and assumes that it is the bible for all TAGs. In fact, his table chatter has made it obvious that he is very weak-tight. In fact, he told me after a prior hand that he bet into me heads-up with his rivered two-pair because he "knew" I would never value bet the A-high + baby four-straight board with my obvious big ace.

Flop (3SB): T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
Everyone checks.

Turn (1.5BB): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)

BB bets, I raise...
Old 06-11-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Bump...

So no one has any comments on this hand?
Old 06-11-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Drinking tequila and trying to use a tight image to good effect...

Given the reads + board, I like. If that 2 helped his hand then he can't be too happy with it anyway, and if he whiffed a c/r attempt on the flop you've still got outs.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:09 PM

I have become less fond of semi-bluff turn raises but this is just the kind of spot to try it, however. The problem is that if he is a thinking player he would wonder what hand you would check on the flop and raise the turn with. And the pot is very tiny so the bluff part has to work somewhat frequently this may be the type player who will lay down some mediocre pair. I like it but someone could probably show me some math that says it is probably not a particulary good spot.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...but someone could probably show me some math that says it is probably not a particulary good spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now wouldn't resorting to math on this hand just spoil all of the fun?
Old 06-11-2005, 07:49 PM

If you're confident that BB can fold here, immediately, then it's ok. BB's can hold anything here, even top pair, but he'll know that you're a wild card too and ought to fold every marginal hand immediately.

You put 2BB into a 2.5BB pot on a semi-bluff, which demands that you win immediately very often to be profitable.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:02 PM

chess,
Where is Tequila? My thoughts: BB = weak tight, meaning when he bets he likes his hand. Just guessing I would put his holdings as a weak ten that he was afraid to bet before hand, an 8, 99,77 or he just picked up a heart flush draw. Another thing to consider is that the pot is now 2.5 BB. It is really hardly worth fighting for. I think you save this play for a bigger pot. After doing what he did if he calls you are betting the river no matter what?
Old 06-11-2005, 10:15 PM

Default The rest of the hand...which includes an unintentional angleshoot.

Turn (1.5BB): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)

BB bets, I raise, MP folds, BB calls.

River (5.5BB): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Upon seeing this card I get strangely excited at backing into a lowly pair, and forgetting that my opponent is set to act before me, I cheerfully grab some chips and prepare to heave them into the middle when my opponent says "Save your chips." He then flashes me an 8 (that is, middle pair), and mucks his hand.

Tequila shots rule!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:21 PM

Default Re: The rest of the hand...which includes an unintentional angleshoot.

I like this one all the way. If he were an aggressive player his turn bet could have meant a missed flop c/r. That was my first thought but after reading your description of BB that isn't likely and I like the play. I wouldn't make it too often though. Better players will not give you much credit for raising that turn.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Foxwoods

Yeah, I've noticed that there are quite a few weak-tighties around. I love that they love to flash you their cards when they make a great laydown, so you can just pick on them more later. My favorite is a guy who laid down a set of 5s on the river (and showed me of course) beacause I had raised the turn when a third diamond came. He mumbled something about me having to have the flush. I avoided telling him that I sometimes overplay top pair. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't know about your play in this hand, only because the pot is so small, you have to get a fold pretty often here. Were you planning to follow through with a river bet no matter what card fell? I think you have to, because so many of the weak tighties love to chase to the river when they are not getting the odds to improve (unaware that they in fact have the best hand) and then give up on the river.

Against some opponents, I've found that it's very profitable to follow through with a bet on the river with unimproved overcards. They'll often release a lot of pairs here, especially if the the turn and river cards are higher than the flop ones.