Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Got stiffed on a tip tonight

DasLeben,

You said you average 18-20%, right? How much are you going to report as income? 12%?
Old 10-15-2005, 08:46 PM

http://www.bitterwaitress.com/std/in...l=1&id=849
Someone's got some splainin to do.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly don't know what your motivations are or why you decided to mess with me, but I assure you I am totally calm. As much as I would love to discuss this matter further I am starting to think that the two of us ignoring each other is definitely the right decision. I wish you the best, and I wish you a pleasant evening.

Brian.

p.s. At the risk of sounding like an ass kisser, I really do respect your posts in the Politics forum. I truly wish you nothing but the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I came back and saw this thread boomed from six pages to a monster overnight and over the course of the day. I still feel your post should be addressed, as it really doesn't make sense and turns reality upside down. So here goes.

I can assure you that the "going after" appears to me to be coming entirely from your side, as I've done nothing but stick to the subject and remark that saying things like "you're wrong" without elaborating constitute simple gainsaying, not participating in a discussion, and therefore are by definition not productive. This is not "going after" you, but acknowledging that you seem to have lost your way in the discussion. If this has seemed to you like an attack, I apologize, but I think it's clear that you're misinterpreting.

As you say of me, I don't wish you ill, but simply wish that you had stuck to a productive discussion.

I have made perhaps one post in politics, and it was months ago. I wish I could accept your compliment on my posts in that forum, but you have me confused with someone else.

And now I have to decide if I want to read 11 pages more of this. I went to sleep when the discussion, surprisingly coherent though some emotions seemed to run high, started to degenerate, and it seems like the kind where people can be very tempted to speak without thinking, and certainly without listening. I wonder if it's worth trudging through.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:40 PM

Why don't you call the
Old 10-15-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you call the

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD
Old 10-16-2005, 12:33 AM

Dude, it just sucks, and you have to move on. It's not to lessen your anger or make it go away magically, but that's the best solution. Some people just suck like that.

My friend served a party of 12 people for 2.5 hrs. once on a $300 tab all night long and he ended up getting $10 at the end of the night. He was angry about the ordeal, but he was confident that he was good server and that the people were rude.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:55 AM

Since you asked for input... I've worked in restaurants for years (not currently) in both tipped and untipped positions. Due to my empathy for those in the industry, my standard tip is 20%+ up to around 30% depending on various factors.

That said, sometimes service sucks. Sometimes its the server's fault and sometimes it's not; I can usually tell the difference. If a server fucks up and admits it, the tip is saved. If a server fucks up and tries to blame the kitchen or any one else when its clearly the server's fault, I will stiff.

My stiffs are unique, though, since I know that customers sometimes legitamately forget. I'm not at all above leaving a few dimes on the table and nothing else to ensure that the message is crystal clear. This is extraodinarily rare but I have done it a couple of times, I can't remember the last time.

I empathize with servers and know the demands of the job. It is a very difficult one and deserves compensation when I recieve fair to excellent service. Serving is also a meritocracy, crappy servers will not last long in most restaurants worth frequenting. Perhaps I'm doing everyone a service by hastening their exit before a line cook rips them a new one and they leave in tears in the middle of a weekend rush.

edited to add: DasLeben, I'm not suggesting you gave poor service or that they simply forgot. Regardless of the validity of the various points of view in this thread, some people are just shitty tippers.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:12 AM

Seems like a good outlook to me.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:18 AM

Working in a restaurant makes you racist. The sad sad truth. The majority of people who leave shitty tips are minorities. Of course there are always exceptions, but ask any server if he'd rather have a 4 top of white men or a 4 top of mexican woman.

I've worked as a server for many many years. You shouldn't complain about tips if you work at Applebee's, Chili's, etc... Work at a fine dining restaurant, where a table of 2 can ring up a tab over 100 dollars. You rarely get stiffed in this environment.

Also, some people just don't have the money to go out to eat very often and just don't understand that 15% is customary. They often thing throwing down a 5 will due no matter what that bill is.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:21 AM

were the cowboys white? just curious, now it's getting all racial up in this muh'