Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2003, 05:27 PM

Default Playing against the rush

Online, LL ($1/$2), loose/passive.

Question - how do you handle a table where a couple of players always seem to be on a rush? Do you leave, stay out of hands with them, or just continue the battle?

Example hand, don't mean to whine - we'll, yes I do, sniff! ;-)

I limp from MP with As 8s. Six players see the flop without a raise.

FLOP: [ Ks 3c 9s ]

Blinds check, 1UTG bets, 2UTG calls, I call, everyone else folds.

TURN: [ Ks 3c 9s ] [ Ad ]

1UTG bets, 2UTG folds and I call.

RIVER: [ Ks 3c 9s Ad ] [ 3h ]

1UTG bets, I call.

1UTG shows: 3s 9d - for the full house.

I know I played this really weakly, but... I have more hands, but I'll shut-up now. Any advice?

TIA,
pf
Old 05-03-2003, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Playing against the rush

Yes, you need to play more aggressively and splash some chips in this spot. I would definitely raise the flop with my nut flush draw and ace overcard. Seeing that you didnt, when you hit the ace it's a must raise...you are likely ahead and if not you have 9 outs to a flush and two pair or trips would also likely be good. I would have lost much more than you would.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2003, 07:13 PM

Thanks Jeffage,

From your response I take it you continue to fight the good fight. I’ll try.

pf
Old 05-03-2003, 11:00 PM

I don't care what kind of rush they are on- if they are playing 93 then I want to play in that game.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:24 PM

Well, OK.

No one (2 posters so far) seems to be willing to acknowledge the “rush thing”.

Every once in a while I’ll sit at a table where 1 or 2 players are on a rush.
If I’m wrong about the “rush” thing I’d appreciate being enlightened. Does anyone have any other comments?

TIA,
pf
Old 05-04-2003, 12:28 AM

Default Addendum

Normally I would not mind my chips flowing to this player, if he gave some back, even to others.

That was not the case. He and another player took about 75 BB off the table.

I really am talking about playing against a rush, not just sour grapes here.

OK. I got mad and left to play $3/$6 at another site. I have only played it once before and got my clocked cleaned.

OK, I got my own little rushes, but I also folded and folded, and played against the players. Don’t mean to brag (yes I do, damn) but I tripled up by playing tight/aggro.

I am gonna get reamed or ignored, so I probably won’t post for a while. LOL, yes I will.

TC,
pf
Old 05-04-2003, 01:17 AM

Rush smush, I say. The luck of your opponents caused you to misplay your hand. Now you are battling two things: your opponents good luck and your own mistakes. If it's having that kind of effect on you, then you were right to change tables. Get out if it's messing you up.

It's good to whine sometimes. We all have to get it out of our system now and then.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:07 AM

I don't have a problem with you switching tables. You have to be comfortable to play your best poker. Obviously, it worked out for you. I think each person has to make the decisions that are best for him. In your case, these two seemed to really have gotten in your head so you made the right decision. If I was in this same situation, I would be determined to wait out the rush and kick their ass, but maybe that is just my stubborn "refuse to lose" attitude, which occasionally gets me in trouble. GL.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:21 AM

I agree with other posters. If you are staying out of a hand cause someone is on a rush, then its time to change table. Some players start to play loose/aggressive when they win some pots, but that is a changed playing-style, not a rush.

About raising the flop with your draw. If the game is loose/passive its normally very good to raise for a free-card, they wont 3-bet you with toppair, and maybe not even with 2 pair.

If someone 3-bet your flopraise at this loose/passive game they normally got at least 2-pair.

If you only call on flop and the same player bets out on turn I would only call with toppair+flushdraw. In my experience, a player betting turn into more than one player in a 1/2 loose/passiv game got a good hand, at least 2 pair. They would (almost) never bet their K if an A falls on turn. At another table you would be ahead, but at this you are behind. But again, if they will check to you even if they got a small set on river, if you raise turn, then its a good raise.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:38 AM

Question - how do you handle a table where a couple of players always seem to be on a rush? Do you leave, stay out of hands with them, or just continue the battle?

Actually I try to get into more hands against them, especially if they believe in rushes.

-- Homer