Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Overcall/Disguise hand

I meant to raise preflop to try to get heads up with MP. He plays most hands and will fold to aggression. Stats are 60/4/.3 He surprised me when he bet into me on the turn. I only called hoping the blind had something and would raise or hoping one of them caught there flush or str8 on the river. Is this the right play or should I have raised and charged them for the draw? I also expected the blind would fold to 2 bets on the turn.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, CO calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (6.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB
Old 06-16-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Overcall/Disguise hand

Looks good to me. I'd play it the same. I'd only raise preflop if the blinds were tight, otherwise a limp is fine.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-16-2005, 09:17 AM

Preflop you know you missed that raise, the rest of the hand is played perfectly. That's a perfect place to go for the overcall.

The only time you would rather raise this turn is when you expect SB to coldcall a significant amount of the time. This board is pretty draw heavy (and straight heavy), so he might be peeling with alot of hands.

That said, CO may be bet/folding some donk hand, and SB might raise behind you, giving you a perfect situation. All things considered I like the call alot.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good to me. I'd play it the same. I'd only raise preflop if the blinds were tight, otherwise a limp is fine.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can make this raise anytime that you don't have a specific read saying either blind is loose. However, if I've got a read on both and SB is loose and BB is tight, I'm still raising.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:24 AM

I had been able to isolate the bad player in MP alot, both the blinds were fairly tight.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:37 AM

I like the way you played it, I'd probably do it the same way myself.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:59 AM

Eff that, I'm raising the turn. He's not folding his draw. You miss out on 103284857857 bets this way.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:03 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

nh. i may raise on the button, though.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:01 AM

kurosh:

[ QUOTE ]
Eff that, I'm raising the turn. He's not folding his draw

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. If the board was more like T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], then the call is ok. But the sb is going to have a draw that he will not fold often enough to make raising better. And if the CO has a real hand...you can miss tons of bets--your 102235789151 bet estimate seems reasonable.