Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Help me explain something

so I'm talking to someone who fancies himself as somewhat of an NL player, making reads, using deception, etc. as far as I know he's a fairly low limit player.

we're talking about limit, and he talks about sometimes limping TT/JJ for 'deception' but I suspect it's because he's weak tight and fears overcards or 'donkeys drawing out on him'. I tell him, 'no way man, in the long run raising wins you way more when your hand does hold up, plus you get to flop sets and you can always counterfeit two smaller pair'. he replies 'but that's such a robotic way to play poker, there's never a 100% correct way to play a hand - you need to take into account position and you opponents' and I say 'in limit, against loose low limit players, deception wins you less than solid straightforward play. not only that, but TT/JJ are so strong that raising them is more profitbale than limping in any position against any lineup'.

So, what was it, for you, that drove home the point that you should raise these big pairs? I can't break through his 'robotic poker' and 'you need to consider position' arguments.