Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Paving over the Bellagio Fountains (long)

[ QUOTE ]
It's a stupid argument that cannot be resolved by the people involved. Why bother?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother? Because I think he is wrong and out of principle---principle being: one should never concede an argument to a jerk.

One could argue, only anecdotally perhaps, that what Steven Wynn and others introduced with their "theme" hotels---the Mirage, with the volcanos; Caesars Palace, with the roman architecture; Treasure Island, with the pirate show, etc.---has contributed greatly to Vegas's appeal [over other gambling towns] and CAN be considered a significant factor in its economic success. Without these "free" entertainments, Vegas would be just another Atlantic City, or Reno, and wouldn't have half the success it now enjoys.

But I have no idea how to prove that.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why bother? Because I think he is wrong and out of principle---principle being: one should never concede an argument to a jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are in for a whole life of miserable frustration.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's a stupid argument that cannot be resolved by the people involved. Why bother?

[/ QUOTE ]

One could argue, only anecdotally perhaps, that what Steven Wynn and others introduced with their "theme" hotels---the Mirage, with the volcanos; Caesars Palace, with the roman architecture; Treasure Island, with the pirate show, etc.---has contributed greatly to Vegas's appeal [over other gambling towns] and CAN be considered a significant factor in its economic success. Without these "free" entertainments, Vegas would be just another Atlantic City, or Reno, and wouldn't have half the success it now enjoys.

But I have no idea how to prove that.

[/ QUOTE ]

because you cannot prove that which is why it cannot be resolved. neither of you has the information to make a statement backed with fact and thus are just doing a lot of dick waving.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously do you think ANY argument you could make is going to make him suddenly go "ZOMG ZOIKS!!!11!!!!! U'RE RIGHT!"

The fact of the matter is you are probably right, but nothing is going to convince him of this. As far as conceding an argument to a jerk, it's not an argument, it's a switching monolgoue.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:18 PM

I'd imagine, the success of the fountains on the Bellagio has to do with some sort of branding effect. When seeking a "high class" hotel in Vegas, the Bellagio is the name most people think of because of it's extravegance. The fountains are the centerpiece of this extravegance. So, whether it be from watching countless movies that show these fountains or if a propsective consumer has been to vegas before and seen the fountains in person, they will want to stay at the Bellagio for their classy vacation because of the brand name recognition.

As for proof to my theory, I have none. I'm not sure if any studies have been done pinpointing the success of Vegas hotels and you could search to check that out, but I wouldn't feel obligated to provide proof to your buddy. Basically, he is saying, here's my theory, I have no proof to its validity, but you have no proof to the contrary, therefore, I am right.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:29 PM

Rundownhouse and Adambragger,

You're both right. The debate is ultimately pointless since neither side can disprove the arguments of the other.

Maybe I'll try name-calling. Like..."Pretentious sob"