Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: How many people think I should have gotten away from this hand?

I like folding. The utg raised 10x the BB. This is a HUGE raise (It's early, so I'm assuming there's no ante) and utg+1 cold-calls. The cold call seems weird. This could be a slowplay with AA, maybe KK-at the very least it's a good hand. With both these players in you're trying to beat a big pair with at least one card dead. It's very possible another AK is out and you're playing for half the pot and more likely than usual the dreaded AA or KK could be out.

Against 2 players showing this much strength I think AK has negative implied odds. Every poster has agreed that you can't get away from this after the flop. That's the problem...you're either chopping with AK or losing to a set if you play a big pot. If you do win it usuall will be a small pot and you've risked a lot to win a little. In a tournament this is really bad because you could go broke on this hand.

If you do play it, how do you play it? Raising is scary because you open yourself to a reraise which you cannot call and giving the action that seems very posible (I'd be more worried about the caller reraising). If you reraise and get flat-called how are you going to feel? Is it a trap? Queens waiting for a safe flop? Will you bet the flop if you miss, or show weakness and take a free card? Raising seems crazy to me. It's too easy to get shut out before the flop, or get trapped, or end up bluffing off half you're stack on A-high.

Calling is not great either. You surrender the initiative and you may allow drawing hands behind you in cheap. However, you have to assume AK is a drawing hand in this situation. So I like calling better than raising to avoid shutting yourself out. This way you you can wait and use your position after the flop when you'll have more information about the hand. Also calling may disguise your hand.

Obviously I like calling better than raising, but I still like folding the best. It seems like a win small, lose big situation anyway you play it. You have nothing invested and no pair yet. Also, remember it's a tournament. You should be avoiding close gambles and protecting your chips, especially early. A final note: the blind structure at this point dictates very tight, conservative play...there's no need to gamble at this point.

I know some people will think folding is too tight. I would apprectiate feedback. I think my thought process here is pretty good, though. If not, please enlighten me. What am I missing?