Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Newb \"Online Tells\" post

Most new poker players look for tells to figure out what card their oponent has. Online these are harder to spot, but there are still plenty if u really try. I do not try because I 8 table, but what i am afraid of I'm giving off tells. For example, i'l use the "call BB" checkbox when i'm in middle/late position w/ pocket pairs up to JJ, is this too obvious? I won't limp unless i hae PP or AQ. And then there's the "amount of time taken tell." When there is a hand i have to think about, i use my time bank, but otherwise it's instantaneous, should i start pausing when i flop monsters or when i know i'm gona fold post flop? Also, blind play, does using the "chek/fold" button on the BB give away too much? I play the 22's and 33's, am i giving my oponents too much credit?
Old 04-03-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Newb \"Online Tells\" post

Don't use check/fold in the BB during bubble/ITM play. People will notice and minraise you with any 2 cards.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:54 AM

I think even the fish are thinking about things like this. I only play 4 tables and don't know what will happen if/when I get to 8, but the only button I check in advance is the fold button.

I don't know what people will make of a quick or slow action so I don't worry about that much, beyond avoiding the instant action of the call checkbox or something.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:29 PM

I always wait for 17 flashes of the arrow before acting . . . so that people think I am a bot. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2005, 02:09 PM

I honestly dont think that your limping is a tell that is a danger because you wont see showdown with most of those hands so how will they put you on anything when you limp.

I always make an effort to mix up my play a tiny bit before it gets to push mode. Throw in a minraise here, a 2.5x there and a 3x here.

Using the autofold button can get you into trouble, but again I dont think its all THAT MUCH. You can use these to your advantage if you allow yourself to think about your own possible tells.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Using the autofold button can get you into trouble,

[/ QUOTE ]

care to elaborate?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Using the autofold button can get you into trouble,

[/ QUOTE ]

care to elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

autofold=fold to any bet, so they min bet on the turn after you quickly checked twice, if they have position.