Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 07-22-2005, 10:32 AM

Default My Friday Rant

Gary Carson, who is a bit of a pariah around these parts, wrote something along the lines of people consider themselves as having a game, like I'm a red chip hold 'em player, and that stops them from sitting in good games. If I remember correctly, he was talking about the need to play more than HE, but the same principle applies to the talk of various Party limits. I'll play between 5/10 and 20/40 on Party, and the deciding factors are how I feel (tired/rested, clear-headed/drunk) and how good the games are. I don't think you guys practice good game selection if you make blanket statements about the quality of games at a given limit. I started playing 15/30 in December because one of my buddies was playing--taking a shot, I guess. I never looked back. Find good games, play good games, take the occasional shot. Don't limit yourself because you heard 5/10 full is bad or whatever. People are wrong. Sometimes a bigger game is surprisingly good because it's Tuesday and 2 donkeys are sitting at 10/20 full. If you can spare 25-50 BBs, give it a shot.

Yeah, and congratulations to Entity.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: My Friday Rant

Nice post. I *do* think it's probably worth mentioning that even when you were giving 15/30 a shot, you were probably more used to various types of game texture from lots of live play, which is important (i.e. a 3/6 guy with a large bankroll will probably not feel super comfortable just sitting in at a good 15/30 game off the bat).

That said, good post. And thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob
Old 07-22-2005, 10:36 AM

as a coup to this if you want to play for higher stakes but feel you are risking less head down to a live game and play higher stakes where the players arn't as good or aggressive. I find myself beating 3/6 and 5/10 (I haven't ventured too much to 10/20 and 15/30)online but live I can kill 10/20... I'm sure this is obvious for any experienced player.. but for you noobs out there...
Old 07-22-2005, 10:37 AM

I agree.

This thinking is clearly evident on the B+M forum where once a week someone says "I play 2/4 online - how does that translate into a B+M limit?"

People should get over this mental block and pick games that they can beat.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:38 AM

Ha, I remember talking to you on AIM and sweating you one of the first times you played 15 (maybe the first time). You played that real big pot w/ KTs where you capped the flop with a flush draw. You ended up winning a big pot and then sat out at your big blind because you said, "My hands are shaking."

Not much of content to say. I agree with the post, I do the same thing, switiching between 5/10 and 10/20 when I can find good games.

My Friday rant: You don't rant enough. Nice post.

[ QUOTE ]
as a coup to this if you want to play for higher stakes but feel you are risking less head down to a live game and play higher stakes where the players arn't as good or aggressive. I find myself beating 3/6 and 5/10 (I haven't ventured too much to 10/20 and 15/30)online but live I can kill 10/20... I'm sure this is obvious for any experienced player.. but for you noobs out there...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is another thing. As donktastic as Party is, live games are almost always much softer for the identical limit. Less aggression, looser, etc etc. Get used to watching a table for an orbit and picking things up. 10 hands live is 20 minutes.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ha, I remember talking to you on AIM and sweating you one of the first times you played 15 (maybe the first time). You played that real big pot w/ KTs where you capped the flop with a flush draw. You ended up winning a big pot and then sat out at your big blind because you said, "My hands are shaking."

Not much of content to say. I agree with the post, I do the same thing, switiching between 5/10 and 10/20 when I can find good games.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hands were shaking and it felt freaking awesome. They were also shaking the first couple of hands of 40/80 I played but that might have been because Clark was on my left.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My hands were shaking and it felt freaking awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG you ARE an addict. My mom was right!
Old 07-22-2005, 10:43 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I started playing 15/30 in December because one of my buddies was playing--taking a shot, I guess. Here we are, 28 hands later, I've never looked back

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp