Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 12-28-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Worst Downswing of my short poker career...Is this typical?

Let me start by saying that this post is mostly whining, but I am truly seeking some advice. I am a SS limit player who has torn up the lowest limits and has kept playing 2/4 ever since. This is over 18,427 hands. Over the past 7 days, (3,579 hands [I got to play more b/c it is christmas break]) I have been demolished taking a 161 BB downswing. This is after being up 285 BB in the previous 18,000+ hands.

So I have been examing my play, re-reading, and checking my stats. I have found that with only two small exceptions my stats are exactly the same. My Went-to-Showdown has dropped from 29.06 to 24.9. However, my Fold to river bet and W$SF have stayed the same. Finally, my W$SD has dropped from 51.95 to 42.02. So even though I am going to less showdowns, I am losing even more of the ones I go to. Does this make any sense to anyone?

I keep thinking this is due to negative variance (losing big pots to 2 outers seems more frequent than before) but maybe everyone is just getting better. Or maybe I was never any good. I would really just like some thoughts or advice from others. In the mean time I am taking a few days off. Thanks.

Shermn27
Old 12-29-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Worst Downswing of my short poker career...Is this typical?

I've had a 400bb downswing at 6max

variance is fun!
Old 12-29-2005, 12:27 AM

Yeah, you're running bad. That's why you have a bankroll. You'll be fine.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:34 AM

imho, the SS crowd worries too much about VPIP, WTSD, etc. Winning poker is more about putting opponent's on ranges, determining if their their bet on the board (given their pf bet) makes sense, recognizing when they're betting a draw (as opposed to a made hand), and taking on notes to determine which opponents a) call to the river with anything, b) call flop bets but fold the turn, c) call the turn everytime but give up on the river, or d) fold to a flop bet most times. You can have a 50 VPIP and be a winner if you can figure out your opponents (ok, maybe an exagerration - then again maybe not).

I did the SS thing forever. It was as exciting as watching paint dry but $$ were good. And I never paid much attention to my PT stats (but I paid attention to those of my opponents).

End of my great speech. Now back to your regular programming . . .
Old 12-29-2005, 01:32 AM

what is SS?

thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is SS?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]small stakes I think...
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/po...rd=smallholdem
Old 12-29-2005, 03:30 AM

Sounds pretty standard, OP.... maybe drop down to regain confidence. Stay right where you are if you're an arrogant bastard like me.