Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-17-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Foundation for law

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You exercise judgement, as best you can. The original example was, as I'm sure you intended it, an extreme example, so the solution was pretty obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was obvious, and you thought it was obvious, but we both found different "obvious" answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and that's fine, I'm surely not saying your answer is the wrong one, I don't claim any kind of greater access to ethical certainty.

I was trying to get across the idea that you can't universalize an answer. To take your own equation, would you sacrifice the guy to save your family? to save all of humankind? - how about not sacrifice him just beat him up, break one of his nails, call him a bad name? Somewhere along this continuum everyone gets to the point where they'd commit an act that'd be in isolation wrong, but clearly prudent/right in a greater utilitarian sense. I'd go as far as to say that an individual who didn't have a tipping point along this line is ethically bankrupt.

Judging where that line should be exactly is impossible, all we can hope for is that a situation will be looked at with compassion, consideration and intelligence - and that whoever is put in a crisis decision, has the courage to do what they believe is best on balance - so we come full circle to virtue ethics. It's unfortunate that life doesn't happen in an ethical vacuum.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with you retards? If you want to quote the person you are responding too thats cool... but I am not gonna scroll three pages for each reply.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, got carried away. I'm going to stand in the corner for 5 minutes [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

chez
Old 12-17-2005, 09:12 PM

I think there are laws that exist that that are eternal and unchanging, these laws govern how we feel and/or are as a result of breaking them. Because of how the human being is put together there are personal repercussions when a person breaks these laws. Ahh... In defing a new legal system, research should govern good from bad. If drugs messes up lives maybe we should leave the chemicals in our brains to perform the function they were there to perform. Something, if proven to lessen peoples ability to live a healthy and full life should be made illegal. We need laws to help those who want to know how to get the most out of life and to ensure that peoples rights are not violated. Every person should be helped to live a full and healthy life and the law should support this.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with you retards? If you want to quote the person you are responding too thats cool... but I am not gonna scroll three pages for each reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

By your diagnosis, what is wrong with us, is that we are retards. We can't help it, fate made us keep quoting each other.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there are laws that exist that that are eternal and unchanging, these laws govern how we feel and/or are as a result of breaking them. Because of how the human being is put together there are personal repercussions when a person breaks these laws. Ahh... In defing a new legal system, research should govern good from bad. If drugs messes up lives maybe we should leave the chemicals in our brains to perform the function they were there to perform. Something, if proven to lessen peoples ability to live a healthy and full life should be made illegal. We need laws to help those who want to know how to get the most out of life and to ensure that peoples rights are not violated. Every person should be helped to live a full and healthy life and the law should support this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me started [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 05:14 PM

If its going to be a democratic society than everything should be put up to a vote. One person brings up and issue another person seconds it. Than let the majority rule.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:18 PM

how do u decide who own what
Old 12-19-2005, 07:36 PM

my fear is not that this thread will take our minds off an important issue like the avian flu, but that it is the avian flu.....................b