Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Re: questions for atheists

[ QUOTE ]
Can Christians answer this one too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, otherwise one could deduce that only atheists live in flea ridden habitats!
Old 11-29-2005, 03:39 AM

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. No, but to me having faith in a god follows the same parameters as not having faith. It's only a belief either way. We could probably never really prove it 100% either way, unless the sky slowly parts one day and we get one of these.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:25 AM

No
No
Yes
No
Old 11-29-2005, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4. Is the lack of evidence proof that something is not there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, this is weak. I refer the honorable gentleman to Flying Spaghetti Monsterism. Is lack of evidence proof that the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not exist?

Do better.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this weak? His argument is that agnosticism is the only logical choice. Agnostics have no problem admitting that the Flying Spaghetti Monster might exist and be our creator. Logically, the Christian God, the FSM, and (from my perspective) you all have the same chance of being our creator. I think you are letting your bias cloud your view and not allow you to see this subject as an agnostic would.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Logically, the Christian God, the FSM, and (from my perspective) you all have the same chance of being our creator.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you give the Christian god and the FSM the same chance of being our creator then you are effectively an athiest IMO. Feel free to use the term agnostic, it may even be correct. Of course I have to conceed there is a tiny tiny possibility that either of these beings exist and if that makes me agnostic then so be it. I don't think it does though.

That is to say, for all practical purposes I'm an athiest and so is someone who only attributes a tiny probability to the existance of god or the FSM.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His argument is that agnosticism is the only logical choice. Agnostics have no problem admitting that the Flying Spaghetti Monster might exist and be our creator. Logically, the Christian God, the FSM, and (from my perspective) you all have the same chance of being our creator. I think you are letting your bias cloud your view and not allow you to see this subject as an agnostic would.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an atheist for the reason you mentioned plus moral reasons. Those moral reasons are those which do not allow me the convenience of agnosticism.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Logically, the Christian God, the FSM, and (from my perspective) you all have the same chance of being our creator.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you give the Christian god and the FSM the same chance of being our creator then you are effectively an athiest IMO. Feel free to use the term agnostic, it may even be correct. Of course I have to conceed there is a tiny tiny possibility that either of these beings exist and if that makes me agnostic then so be it. I don't think it does though.

That is to say, for all practical purposes I'm an athiest and so is someone who only attributes a tiny probability to the existance of god or the FSM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, I call myself an agnostic, but, like you, give an infintesimal chance to the existence of either of the aforementioned beings. Is "atheist" the more commonly accepted term for this belief system? If so, what is an agnostic? Someone who thinks that a Creator existing is closer to 50% probable?
Old 11-29-2005, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am an atheist for the reason you mentioned plus moral reasons. Those moral reasons are those which do not allow me the convenience of agnosticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to the fact that calling yourself "agnostic" is selling yourself short to fit in better with the God-fearing masses?

An example of what I mean:

My atheist friend was told by his then-theist-then-girlfriend that her theist mother would accept him more if he pretended to have a more agnostic view.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:47 AM

"What is an agnostic"
fuego527

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/russell8.htm
Old 11-29-2005, 07:47 AM

hi fuego,

No not at all... The reasons have more to do with my view of the god concept, which I find totally unnaceptable from a moral stand point. They are not a judgement on other people's positions.