Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Why not steal money and give it to Africans?

Yes, you are correct.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Our society, and much of the world is dependent on luxary spending.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. Charles Shaw is bigger business than Dom Perignon, Toyota is bigger business than Jaguar, crummy apartments are bigger business than luxury condos, etc. Ugh, read Keynes, and in the meanwhile, stop making things up.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:25 AM

How much have you donated to starving Africans children Soonerfan? It's easy to take the patronizing moral high ground when Darryl says that the value of human life is relative, but it is. Who wouldn't kill ten unknown people half across the world to save their brother or sister? I certainly would, and I think the vast majority of people feel the same way.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, no one in this thread has agreed that they would kill 100 people to let their family member live. Only you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Weird, I of course consider myself fundamentally good, somewhat geeky, pretty normal 20 year old. I am also someone who cares about other people probably too much in most walks of life.

I would kill any number of unknowns to save one family member. I would probably kill an entire continent of unknowns to save my entire family / friends. I don't feel like i'm that alone here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you and hmpoker are pulling my leg. No one is that sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

btw, you still haven't answered my question.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, he made that post after you claimed that a lot of people agreed with you. And, that's one person.

Second, if you can't figure out the answer by now, the you aren't very intelligent.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much have you donated to starving Africans children Soonerfan? It's easy to take the patronizing moral high ground when Darryl says that the value of human life is relative, but it is. Who wouldn't kill ten unknown people half across the world to save their brother or sister? I certainly would, and I think the vast majority of people feel the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you are wrong. Vast majority? I don't think so.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Btw, if you feel so confident that others agree with you, then start a poll.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:14 AM

BigSoonerFan,

I agree with you that it is immoral to sign off on the termination of 10 (or any other amount for that matter) starving African children to save a loved one. But, honestly, I have a gun to your wife's (if you are not married, insert the person you cherish most in life here) head and ten of my colleagues each have a gun to a starving African child's head. You choose.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BigSoonerFan,

I agree with you that it is immoral to sign off on the termination of 10 (or any other amount for that matter) starving African children to save a loved one. But, honestly, I have a gun to your wife's (if you are not married, insert the person you cherish most in life here) head and ten of my colleagues each have a gun to a starving African child's head. You choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a tough question and much different than the one posed. In the previous question, you are taking ten people who are not in harm's way and putting them there (to the point of death).
Old 11-28-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Second, if you can't figure out the answer by now, the you aren't very intelligent.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, I'm not the one skirting the issue with ad hominem attacks.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm quite sure he accomplised more long term good while there than if he had just saved his money for a few months and cut a check. When he left, the infrastructure he build and the knowledge he imparted reamained witht he needy. When a UN big bag of grain is gone, well, you need another big bag of grain.

[/ QUOTE ]

The people still need food, and the workers still need to get paid somehow (unless they're doing it entirely pro-bono, which would be pretty admirable).