Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Semi Bragging and a $200 Reward

Did you verify that all the Lippmann's were, in fact, American authors? For example, Mila Lippmann-Pawlowski (who's last name might even disqualify her) published a book "Colourful Australia". The spelling of "colourful" and topic suggests that she is Australian rather than American.

You also include Ernesto Lippmann, who's book is written Portuguese. Hardly a common language to use for an American author.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you verify that all the Lippmann's were, in fact, American authors? For example, Mila Lippmann-Pawlowski (who's last name might even disqualify her) published a book "Colourful Australia". The spelling of "colourful" and topic suggests that she is Australian rather than American.

You also include Ernesto Lippmann, who's book is written Portuguese. Hardly a common language to use for an American author.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I did not cross-reference authors with physical addresses to make sure they were all located within the US. I was thinking that fell under the "accuracy isn't important, it won't even be close" department. I think it's clear that even if Lippmann doesn't quite cut it, it's close enough to win. David saying that whitepages.com is "flawed" is based the fact that another poster was fooled into thinking that only 300 people with his last name were in the United States since whitepages.com returned only 300 (it's limit). This is not the case with Lippmann, where there really are under 300 people, and whitepages.com returned its entire list.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:09 PM

Ok folks I have the end to this arguement, this gets around the whole only lists 300 of X amount.

You can get around this by searching for Lippman's with first initial A and B and so on to get...

A 69 Lippman's
B 95 Lippman's
C 39 Lippman's
D 70 Lippman's
E 50 Lippman's
F 17 Lippman's
G 32 Lippman's
H 36 Lippman's
I 14 Lippman's
J 82 Lippman's
K 21 Lippman's
L 66 Lippman's
M 112 Lippman's
N 18 Lippman's
O 1 Lippman's
P 30 Lippman's
Q ZERO Lippman's
R 92 Lippman's
S 81 Lippman's
T 20 Lippman's
U ZERO Lippman's
V 3 Lippman's
W 30 Lippman's
X ZERO Lippman's
Y 3 Lippman's
Z 1 Lippman's

And the grand total of Lippman's living in the united states (that it mentions) is ... 982. Case closed 42 names of authors doesn't cut it with 982 people. ( not using a multiplier of 1.5 or anything else)
Old 11-02-2005, 03:25 PM

CrazyEvan, please stop filling this thread with erroneous data. YOU FREAKIN SPELLED THE NAME WRONG!!! Read my post. I said LIPPMANN. PLEASE TRY AGAIN
Old 11-02-2005, 03:34 PM

Sorry about that. Honest mistake, no reason to yell. I was looking one of the threads that say "Prove me wrong about Lippman and I'll make it $300. "
Old 11-02-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry about that. Honest mistake, no reason to yell. I was looking one of the threads that say "Prove me wrong about Lippman and I'll make it $300. "

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm yelling because this is the 2nd time you put erroneous information in this thread. Sklansky based his "whitepages.com is flawed" statement on your being confused by 300 returns with your last name. Then you try to disprove my finding using the wrong last name. The last name "Lippmann" has under 300 findings in the US, as found on several web sites. It's bad enough that I have to battle Sklansky's ever-present refusal to admit he's mistaken without fighting off random people citing incorrect data.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:47 PM

Isn't a very real possibility that both spellings have the same origins should obviously be grouped together?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't a very real possibility that both spellings have the same origins should obviously be groups together?

[/ QUOTE ]

While outside the scope of the contest (as Sklansky defined it), that would open the door to Mason winning as he pointed out in his post...

And if we're grouping people together, I found 159 Slansky's..
Old 11-02-2005, 04:09 PM

I'll be sending my self-addressed, stamped envelope today before Sklansky decides to recind his kind offer. Is it possible, David, that you could autograph my book?
Old 11-02-2005, 04:36 PM

David,
Those of us here who appreciate your generosity and kindness and respect your superior poker skills (unlike that worthless punk commentator on poker superstars who says you have something to prove when you were heads up with Chan) are confused as to what address to send our envelopes to for our book. Could you, kinds Sir, please provide us with the correct address so that we may recieve new additions to our poker libraries and accumulate more knowledge in spite of the fact that we'll never quite be on your level.
Thank you, and have a wonderful day.
Russian Bear