Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 10:21 AM

Default poker academy pro

Hey all, I want to ask anyone who actively utilizies poker academy if it seems to make stupid calls on all-in bets. I am at about 9500 hands on pap and am up on the comp about 3000 small bets, playing exclusively 2/4 nl. I have not reconfigured the computer at all, except to make it never increase the blinds.
I have had three recent experiences in which the computer would call my all-in, twice before the flop and once after, with hands that that just didn't seem to justify it.
For example, I held kk before the flop, was in middle position and went all in hoping to induce a call, I was called, with 55. the rest of the hand went my way. Another time the comp called me after the flop with a pocket pair of twos, I had pocket aces, the board was all undercards, no straight possibility, and it was rainbow.
I play tight but aggressive and have been for 5000 hands, I would think it would adjust to me and beat me up some more, but it seems almost lethargic in style now.
I only play poker on poker academy and a few live games with friends for nickels and dimes. I intend to go online very soon, and want to know if this software is a good primer, or is mine malfunctioning?
I am currently reading sshe and have read hefap. although it was over my head.
If I am wasting my time with pap I certainly want to get back on track before hitting the net

my deepest thanks,
Cambraceres
Old 11-01-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: poker academy pro

My experience with poker acadamy pro is similar. The "players" don't seem to play at all like any I've played online on any site, at any level. Can't relate to live play.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have had three recent experiences in which the computer would call my all-in, twice before the flop and once after, with hands that that just didn't seem to justify it.
For example, I held kk before the flop, was in middle position and went all in hoping to induce a call, I was called, with 55. the rest of the hand went my way.

my deepest thanks,
Cambraceres

[/ QUOTE ]

So you raised hoping to induce a call and got called and then you write that the PAP AI shouldn't have called. That makes no sense to me at all.

Also, not all bots adapt to your play. I believe only the Xenbots do. Some are still formula/mathmatically driven bots.

No AI is going to play poker like a human being, at least not with the software available today. I would suggest upgrading to PAP v2 and playing online (for free) against other PAP 2 owners. That will get you more realistic play before you go online and play for money.

They have a tiered table system and a rating system to try to get people to play more realistically. It seems to play more realistic than the play money tables at most sites, IMO.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:40 PM

I just got PA pro and noticed the same thing. I was playing around with short stack sng situations. Everyone with 1000 chips, 50/100 blinds and I couldn't get the blinds to stop calling 10bb pushes with any two cards.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:03 PM

I can't play online for any considerable length of time, because I don't yet have internet access, except at work. I'm playing pap to try and get ahead before my online experience begins. A friend is staking me as I haven't seen the underside of the poverty line in years. By the way, I acquired pap through a computer geek friend of mine, not by buying it. I have played the free money tables at doyle's room for breif periods, and it was absolutely maniacal. I don't see how it could help.

Cambraceres
Old 11-01-2005, 06:03 PM

Great post.

Only the Limit bots adapt to your play. The NL bots can't adapt.

I have made a few adjustments to make Poker Pro like the games I play in.

<ul type="square"> [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]I adjust the setting for the tournament--the starting stacks, what the blinds begin at, how often they go up, to reflect my home game.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]I adjust individual bots at my table so they play more like the players I play against.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]I will swap bots assigned to a given tournament with bots whose game I find challenging.
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]When I check out my stats, I pay more attention to how I do against the bots who win against me.[/list]
It is useful, even if it's not as difficult as playing against live players. The more I play, the more I use the player statistics analysis. Regardless of how you do against bots, it can tell you your tendencies--such which hands you are aggressive/passive with in which positions.

GL
Old 11-02-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I stole pap with the help of a computer geek friend of mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-02-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when does piracy=theft ? Isn't it copyright infringement?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:06 AM

I have no moral qualms about online piracy.
I included the information about how I aquired the software in order to prevent frivolous inquiries into how a person who "has not seen the poverty line in years" could afford such a program.
I had no idea that the bots only respond in limit, I had heard that the AI was better in some unspecified way, but just assumed they were adjusting.
Can anyone who has successfully improved their game with pap elucidate their exact method for utilizing the program?
Should I reconfigure the comp to only give me the top 30 to 40 percent of hands, since I need no practice folding?
Should I use it as a beer coaster or possibly a christmas tree ornament?
I am woefully unprepared to make suppositions about such things, as I am trying to prepare for the internet and have no interest in beating the game just to beat it.
thanks,
Cambraceres
Old 11-03-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when does piracy=theft ? Isn't it copyright infringement?

[/ QUOTE ]

Garden variety infringement is quoting too much of HPFAP on your Web site. Using a copy of software you did not buy is like photocopying the whole book. You can call that infringing, but it feels dirtier, no?

This is holy war territory, and I'm not posting any more on it.