Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Have I taken this folding thing too far?

From your post it looks like you dont understand EV and other concepts properly. Especialy as you ask- "how did the sng turn out"

Making the most correct EV+ play is everything, the result (in the singular) of that play is irrelevant. If I make the right play and lose a particular hand/SNG, it dosnt matter because over time that play will show a profit.

All profit in the long term is the result of making the right plays and the aggregate effect of the result of those plays.

You may fold the best hand and look for another spot but this is costing you equity/ROI.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:54 PM

why do u not raise with Aj on the button in an unraised pot? do u fold AJ preflop to a 3-4 BB raise?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:03 AM

Well, i understand it just fine...i understand that if you make a consistent play with +EV, that over the long haul, you will be profitable by making that play. however, given certain reads and situations, you might want to deviate from that...

However, lets say you are a 51% favorite on a certain hand, and that hand occurs 3 times in a sng...and each time you push...while you are +EV on the hand, you are probably not going to cash many sngs...because you are essentially 13% to win all 3 confrontations.

I understand this stuff quite well, but the difference between your games and many other people's games is you guys are all 4-tabling at a minimum and looking to maximize $$/hr. I look to maximize ROI as i am still building my bankroll and looking to get the most of every $$ invested. I assure you i am very profitable...not bragging or anything, but i do very, very well on the $55s. I do recognize there is a definite strategy to playing sngs, but if you multitable, you cannot maximize ROI, just $$/hr. and i do not think one is wrong for choosing to maximize ROi...its a matter of choice...the higher your ROI, the less your variance will be, and that is something I prefer. but for you to ASSUME anything about my understanding is a bad read on your part and now i see why you choose to multitable. you play smaller advantages harder than I would...that is preference, not lack of understanding because i push those smaller edges when i am shortstacked...but tend to shy away early in sngs...

not to sound rude, but just because there is a different style of play does not mean it cannot be profitable or just as correct. sorry, but folding one hand will not mean i will make the money, but losing a big hand will ensure you dont.

Plus, askign how it turned out means nothing about my understanding of EV, ROI, or anything for that matter...but it could prove that even if he folds, despite your insistance that he calls, he can still cash!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, lets say you are a 51% favorite on a certain hand, and that hand occurs 3 times in a sng...and each time you push...while you are +EV on the hand, you are probably not going to cash many sngs...because you are essentially 13% to win all 3 confrontations.

I understand this stuff quite well

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you really don't. Let's start with the fact that once you double up the first time, a beat the second time doesn't knock you out...and go from there.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:38 AM

well, thats not entirely true because you have no idea who you are up against...it was a bad example, but i just think people on here make too many assumptions.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, askign how it turned out means nothing about my understanding of EV, ROI, or anything for that matter...but it could prove that even if he folds, despite your insistance that he calls, he can still cash!

[/ QUOTE ]

It proves that you dont understand that a sample size of 1 is utterly irrelevant. Also where do I insist he calls?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:40 AM

I understand not raising preflop. If you raise and SB calls you can count on BB making a very well placed steal raise. Even a donk makes this play with his stack. When you raise with small stack on the button it is usually looks like a steal and becomes a target. Either you have to put in a big enough raise to appear pot committed or just call and see what the flop brings. Myself I would have preferred the A to flop. I can see a donk pushing Ax here but Jx with a caller and raise behind him? I dont see to many 3 bet Pair of J's even at 33's. Had SB Insta pushed I may call but the re raise from early position with this board coming out of the blinds doesn't look good unless you have a solid read on villain.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand not raising preflop. If you raise and SB calls you can count on BB making a very well placed steal raise. Even a donk makes this play with his stack. When you raise with small stack on the button it is usually looks like a steal and becomes a target. Either you have to put in a big enough raise to appear pot committed or just call and see what the flop brings.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the BB has to worry about MP1 who open limped, if BB reraises you then its a pretty easy fold, not a steal. you want to be heads up with MP1 so you should raise and not let the SB and BB in for cheap.