Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 01:58 PM

Default How badly did I play this AJ you pros please comment

Call, raise, or fold AJ from MP1 (with 3 folds in front of you) preflop?

Take the free card on the turn here?
Easy fold on the river?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 03-29-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: How badly did I play this AJ you pros please comment

[ QUOTE ]

Easy fold on the river?

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Turn: (3.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Disclaimer: Not a pro

Easy openraise PF.
Bet the flop.
Check the turn, you are open ended now and that 8 is a good card for your draw but a bad card to bet. Could make alot of two pair connected hands, and you could already be way behind to a set, two pair, one pair, etc.

River call is strange, do you think SB is making a move on this board when there are quite a few hands that are likely and beat you. I'd say your A high vs another A high is probably best but I doubt you are againt A high here.

Prime reason to take the free card instead of paying 2BB in a small pot to have to fold the river. Calling the river you are giving up 3BBs in a hand you are probably losing 80%+ of the time, if not more.

That's just my .02.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:26 PM

Im folding preflop...thoughts? If anything I would limp.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:31 PM

well put. i agree too.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:32 PM

supermegaeasy preflop raise. there is no discussion here.

i think that most people here are just autocalling the river on draw heavy boards with ace high. im not sure if thats correct or not, but that appears to be the standard. i dont know what the semibluffing frequency is on pp15 because i dont play there, but your river call looks right to me.

you need to devise a plan once the turn comes. if you are intending to call a checkraise and pay off a river bet, then it is usually better to check the turn and call the river. you will save yourself money this way in the long run. if you have no intention of calling a river bet unimproved, then i feel that your hand is worth betting far more often.

its close, but i like the turn check without any player reads.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:36 PM

I think the river call is terrible. What are you hoping he has?
Old 03-29-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:23 PM

The preflop open raise is standard, as is the follow up flop bet.

On the turn I'd consider taking a free card. You have a lot of outs if behind and would rather not pay two bets to try to catch up. I would plan on checking the turn, and calling a river bet unimproved.

The way you played it there is no need to call the river, you are beat.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and I think the rest of the hand was played perfectly, including the turn bet.
-James
Old 03-29-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Easy fold on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Disclaimer: Not a pro

Easy openraise PF.
Bet the flop.
Check the turn, you are open ended now and that 8 is a good card for your draw but a bad card to bet. Could make alot of two pair connected hands, and you could already be way behind to a set, two pair, one pair, etc.

River call is strange, do you think SB is making a move on this board when there are quite a few hands that are likely and beat you. I'd say your A high vs another A high is probably best but I doubt you are againt A high here.

Prime reason to take the free card instead of paying 2BB in a small pot to have to fold the river. Calling the river you are giving up 3BBs in a hand you are probably losing 80%+ of the time, if not more.

That's just my .02.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a pro either, but this is exactly how I would have played it.