Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Raise preflop, bet the flop, now what?

This situation comes up so often for me, and I am so confused as to what to do. Please help. I'll give a few examples.

1. Hero is BB with AQs. 3 limpers, SB folds, Hero raises. Flop comes 279r. Hero bets, 3 callers. Turn is a 5. Now what?

2. Same as before, but now we have 2 callers.

3. 3 callers on a flop of 2c8c9d, we have none of the suits.

4. same as before, but now 2 callers.

5. 3 callers on a flop of 2c8c9d, we have AdQd.

6. same as before, but 2 callers.

Thanks for the help. For each of the situations, please tell me if its definetly a bet, definetly a check, or if it is really close and could swing either way depending on other circumstances.

Spicymoose
Old 03-24-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Raise preflop, bet the flop, now what?

I think the turn card is pretty big piece of information here. What are they?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:50 PM

Sorry, I edited it. The turn is a blank (5 in this case).
Old 03-24-2005, 01:51 PM

Ahhh yes....overcards, overcards. They're never comfortable.

You've not given enough information to answer questions here...and seeing that oversight is important...

I would just suggest going back and rereading the Overcards section in SSHE, then, go back and reread the Overcards section in SSHE, after that, go back and reread the Overcards section in SSHE. Once you've finished that, go back and ....

You're going to run into these situation so frequently, it will have a very large impact on your win rate.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Hero is BB with AQs. 3 limpers, SB folds, Hero raises. Flop comes 279r. Hero bets, 3 callers. Turn is a 5. Now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Note: I'm assuming complete fishiness here. A solid or two, and I change things.

I think there is still a pretty good chance you have the best hand. I don't think you can lead the turn here, because you are called down a lot.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm leaning towards betting, because your fold equity might be high enough given you probably have 6 outs if call, and you are behind.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, this flop isnt that different from the previous one, in terms of being called on the flop. A flop of 2c8c9 and 279r appear to be worlds apart in terms of drawness, but a fish peels almost as often on the first as the second, IMO.

What does change is the chances that your turn bet is called. I'm leaning towards checking in both, but if someone were to argue bet the second, I wouldn't need a whole lot of convincing.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm asssuming that since you are including our suits, the 5 is the 5d. You have as many as 15 outs to improve. Thats 2.1-1. You don't need a whole lot of fold equity to bet here. I say bet both.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:08 PM

My generic line in all of those, is to bet the flop, and check the turn when I'm out of position like that.

If I was on the button instead, I usually fire another barrel on the turn, even against 2 callers.

I'll usually call a single turn bet on a ragged board like that, as your overcard outs could certainly be good. Add the fact that it will get checked through on the turn occassionally, that I think the check is an OK play against multiple callers.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This situation comes up so often for me, and I am so confused as to what to do. Please help. I'll give a few examples.

Thanks for the help. For each of the situations, please tell me if its definetly a bet, definetly a check, or if it is really close and could swing either way depending on other circumstances.

Spicymoose

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty much never firing again out of position into the whole field, whether or not I call dpeends on how close I am to closing the action, how many callers there are to the bet, and whether I've had 2 beers or 5.

I might fire again HU, bu that's a whole different ballgame.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:20 PM

Autobetting overcards on the flop seems to be a pretty common mistake. I don't think people are evaluating the strength of their overcards nearly enough.

I remember one of the first pieces of advice from a 2+2 poster that really helped me "Just because you raised PF, does not obligate you to bet the flop."
Old 03-24-2005, 02:25 PM

The only times I seem to not be betting the flop after raising preflop are when I am out of position and there are 4 other opponents around (and I have not hit anything). I also might not bet if I have 99 and 2 overcards hit, or it is an equally scary board.

Are there other examples you can think of? Most of the time I follow the "I bet preflop, so I am betting the flop" line.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:39 PM

I think this is a very good point QTip.

I'm assuming, however, that in the case of 297, you think its OK to lead, right?

The chances of your hand being good, combined with the chances that if behind you are likely to be good if you hit make it a bet. At least, IMO.