Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: 10-20 tough turn

cool. I realize when I saw your reply that my post could have been read as "sthief, how dare you [censored] talk about preflop" when in fact that part was helpful.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:26 PM

Interestingly a couple of weeks ago Nate the great posted a hand J7s where it was raised to him in the bb and he called and wanted to know if that was to loose.I believe chrisdaddy chimed in that getting 7-1 he would call. Clarkmeister said he would call not only with J7s but with J7o. I agree completely that the players mean a ton but i have said these guys are terrible and i play better posflop.Granted my position is horrible but but that is more than compensated for by their bad play.Ice
Old 03-25-2005, 04:49 PM

I'm certainly in favor of opening up your starting requirements when you are in a pot against really bad players, but in my opinion J5o is streching it. If it is an error it is a small one. If I am going to play that getting 7-1 its not enough for the players to be below average they need to be bottom 10th percentile.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:55 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

wouldn't people having "little poker knowledge" qualify?
Old 03-25-2005, 04:55 PM

Ice,

This is my last post in this thread. I'm not getting personal, but I'm not going to sugercoat things either. Like SThief said, there is nothing interesting about this hand besides preflop. The turn you're probably beat, but you can't fold. Preflop, the hand is not worth playing..what types of hands to people limp with? I'd rather have 65o than your hand. Is it a huge mistake? No. But the fact that you presented it without even saying it's marginal leads me to believe you do other things like this b/c you think you play better than all of your opponents, and they probably affect your earn. The point of this board is to HELP each other's game...you have to grow a thick skin b/c people are not going to always agree with your play. I was often flamed when I started posting here, but it helped me improve.

As for your second question, I regularly play and beat mid limit games and have played for a long time so I understand pot odds (see some of my other posts where I frequently reference them). That being said, I know I'm not the best player here but do try to give the best advice I can.

Good luck.

Jeff
Old 03-25-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wouldn't people having "little poker knowledge" qualify?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if they are the kind of people who can never remember whether or not a flush beats a straight.

If it is a passive guy who will call down with all sorts of junk, yes. If it is a guy who just plays too loose, no.

Even though sfer calls me nit I did raise a really bad limper with K6o on the button yesterday. I'm not sure how bad that is, so who am I to judge. It felt like the right thing to do at the time.

I do think you are making some excellent points in this thread, but so is Jeffage.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:28 PM

ice you played the hand very well .
Old 03-25-2005, 06:38 PM

Shame on you IRS frank. You know i played the hand bad and are encouraging other players to play as bad as me.Ice
Old 03-25-2005, 07:04 PM

Jeff

I think you give good advice as i have read your other threads. As a matter of fact i respect your opinion and am very glad you posted. Jeff most of the threads agree with you and almost NO-ONE agrees with me.

The hand is a piece of garbage and it is definitely a marginal situation.The reason i posted the hand was a very good friend of mine who plays very well said he would have mucked the turn and i wanted to see what others thought.I had no idea the pre-flop call would be the topic of discussion.Anyway i think it has been a helpful discussion and hopefully we can take something away from the discussion. Best Wishes. Ice
Old 03-25-2005, 07:32 PM

You keep saying he stayed in with a gutshot. The only straight i see is open-ended on the flop.

Also, some people are saying the PF call is okay getting 7:1? So if everyone limped in giving you the same preflop odds, are you playing this on the button? Same odds and better position, same trash hand, same bad players.