Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: 10-20 tough turn

[ QUOTE ]
In this hand there were 3 below everge players and me.

UTG limped,MP2 limped i limped with my JH 5s in the sb

[/ QUOTE ]

So I guess everyone sucked in this hand eh? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you make no distinction in the sb if the pot is big or not? If 6 people call and your getting 14-1 on your money your going to muck?So if i call there i'm a bad player.

If your in the sb and there is $10,000 in the pot since i have a piece of cheese your going to tell me not to call for another $5.00?Would i be a bad player if i call now?Ice

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were $10k in the pot, of course I'd call.

But you're making a fallacious argument. $10k would be offering you 2000:1 on a call, and calling with any two cards would be fine in that scenario. Calling getting 7:1 with trash in the worst possible position is not.

Rob
Old 03-25-2005, 01:51 PM

Guess you got me there big fella.Ice
Old 03-25-2005, 01:53 PM

So when would you call? How much does the pot need to be laying you to make the call?Ice
Old 03-25-2005, 01:59 PM

I will loosen up the range of hands I play in the small taking into consideration the number of players already in...but not to the point of playing J5 off. I didn't say nor mean to imply that you're a bad player. This is an open forum for differences in opinions without personal comments.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:03 PM

Absolutely NO OFFENSE taken and didn't mean to imply it. Sorry if i did. I'm in a gray area with a piece of cheese and am trying to get a discussion going when it would be appropiate to given the pot size to make the call.Thanks for your input. Ice
Old 03-25-2005, 02:25 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default PREFLOP

think about who your opponents are. it's 1/2 a SB to him preflop. he's against 2 terrible limpers. don't fold. you're getting implied odds from them sucking. it won't take much of a postflop skill advantage to make up for a slightly loose call. IMO folding is very very very very bad in this situation. he's not against slightly bad players. they are terrible and have little poker knowledge. for 1/2 sb I think you could turn a profit with any 2 cards
Old 03-25-2005, 02:30 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely NO OFFENSE taken and didn't mean to imply it. Sorry if i did. I'm in a gray area with a piece of cheese and am trying to get a discussion going when it would be appropiate to given the pot size to make the call.Thanks for your input. Ice

[/ QUOTE ]

pot odds preflop are tricky. you're not going to see 5 cards most of the time, so you can't compare them to the hot and cold odds. the most important thing to know here is that it's a HALF of a SB. it is so small in comparison to later bets that will enter the pot that all you need is to play better than them.

did you know what types of players they were? players with little knowledge can be completely different, from loose and passive to loose and aggressive
Old 03-25-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to reiterate what everyone else said...this hand is garbage preflop. In fact, when I see someone who never folds his SB with crap, it is a strong indicator their game needs alot of work (exception is if the game has a 2/3 blind structure, like 15-30).

[/ QUOTE ]

context is everything in these situations. two examples: CDC posted a hand where he limped on the button with J4s. if you saw that, would you then assume he's a bad player? you probably would, and that would be a shitty read. second, when I was in Vegas, there was a hand where I was the sb and there was a CO poster, who was new to the table. it was folded to him, he checked, and the button folded. I raised from the sb with 76o (with a tight bb). I ended showing the hand down, and a local pro sitting next to sfer apparently started commenting on how bad I play, because I raise 76o. well, he also made the mistake of nto considering context. I was against a random hand, a sub-random hand, and a tight BB.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:41 PM

The button is much different than the small blind even if you have to put in a full bet. If many limped and I had J4s on the button, I'd consider playing for one bet (as long as the game wasn't that aggressive). Your example is you making a play in a specific situation (cutoff poster checks when all fold to him...he's indicating a weak holding he has no interest in). He called with a piece of shite in the small...b/c he wanted to. J5o? What types of hands to people limp with...hmmm, J10, KJ, QJ, J9, etc. I'd prob complete with 86o here. If it's suited and he played for the flush, ok. The thing is, people who can't fold ABSOLUTE CRAP for half a bet in the small blind are generally bad players and often play poorly postflop.

Also, his argument about what if there was 10k in the pot makes me think he doesn't understand some aspects of the game.

Jeff