Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 05:59 PM

Default 10-20 tough turn

Hi all

Here's a hand i played last night where i had a tough decision on the turn.There were two good players in the game and everyone else had very littke poker knowledge.In this hand there were 3 below everge players and me.

UTG limped,MP2 limped i limped with my JH 5s in the sb and the bb called.The flop came Kc 5h Jd. I bet out thinking since they were bad everyone would call but only the UTG called.
The turn was Kc 5h Jd 9c. I bet and UTG raised. Now what do i do? I will post results later.Ice
Old 03-24-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: 10-20 tough turn

Fold PF.

I would 3-bet the turn.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:42 PM

Wow. Its pretty sad when you only get 1 response. Guess this was a pretty bad post.I called the turn, the river was K J 5 9 5 no flush and i checkraised the UTG player who three bet me and i called. He made a gutshot on the turn and paid off my full house.Thanks Einbert for your response.Guess one is better than none. Ice
Old 03-25-2005, 12:19 AM

heres ur 2nd response
fold this garbage preflop
Old 03-25-2005, 10:23 AM

Demon

Thanks for number 2! Even though this hand is a piece of gabage i think given that these are bad players and i'm getting 7-1 on my call it is an easy call.Remember there is $35 in the pot and i only have to throw in another $5.(Two limpers for $20, the bb and me the sb for $15)

The turn was a very debatable call on my part.The pot was not that big 6bb and there was a good chance he had a straight or a higher two pair. If he had the straight i was a 11-1 dog and there was no way i could make up all those bets on the river and if he had a higher two pair i was in the same position regarding the pot odds.If the pot was bigger my call would have made more sense but i think it was a mistake to have called and i just got lucky.I called thinking he might have a pair with a draw which was a horrible read on my part.Ice
Old 03-25-2005, 10:50 AM

Fold preflop. Yeah you may be getting your return, but you can't bet your hand with any confidence on almost any flop. The fact that they "have little poker knowledge" makes it more likely you're going to a showdow, i.e. I want a better hand.

You happened to get hit by a flop in one of the best ways possible, but habitually it's going to cost you money. The fact that you just got hit with this flop is luck and short term thinking.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:15 PM

Rusted

There is no question this hand is a piece of cheese.But getting 7-1 on your money against bad players who play poorly post-flop it's an easy call.What if the pot was laying you 50-1 on your call would you make it then? How about 100-1? Sure these examples are absurd but it drives home the point to take the POT SIZE into account when making your decision.

How big of a mistake can it be to call and play fit-or-fold on the flop? $5.00. And if i hit my hand i want them to go to the river. Look the guy had a gutshot on the flop and called getting 5-1 that was a pretty poor call head -up.But if you feel your going to be trapped by the hand then i agree you should'nt play it. Ice
Old 03-25-2005, 12:30 PM

Just to reiterate what everyone else said...this hand is garbage preflop. In fact, when I see someone who never folds his SB with crap, it is a strong indicator their game needs alot of work (exception is if the game has a 2/3 blind structure, like 15-30).

As for the turn, just call and check-call the river. Likely hands you're beat by: Q10, KJ, K9, J9. He may just be raising a king so you have to look him up, but don't have to cost yourself assloads of chips. And...fold this preflop.

Jeff
Old 03-25-2005, 12:58 PM

I agree with the others about folding preflop. You happened to get lucky and hit the flop. It's when you get a portion of the flop (e.g. J high flop in your case) where you'll end up with some tough decisions and may lose money in the long run.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:45 PM

So you make no distinction in the sb if the pot is big or not? If 6 people call and your getting 14-1 on your money your going to muck?So if i call there i'm a bad player.

If your in the sb and there is $10,000 in the pot since i have a piece of cheese your going to tell me not to call for another $5.00?Would i be a bad player if i call now?Ice