Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2004, 09:38 AM

Default Was the guy right to tilt?

Playing 3/6 PP last night with 6 in this pot,

I bring in with Q55, 4 fold and the guy to my right with a Q completes. I raise (one Q dead) thinking he's trying to ante steal, he calls.

4th street:
Me (Q5)55
Tilt (XX)QK

I double bet, he calls.

5th:
Me: (Q5)55J
Tilt: (XX)QKT (all offsuit)

I bet, he calls

6th:
Me: (Q5)55JQ
Tilt: (XX)QKT9 (2clubs)

I check, hoping he made his straight. He didn't, he checks.

7th: I get a blank, bet out and he calls.

I take down the pot against his pair of Queens and he goes on tilt about me raising his Q's on 3rd street. I tell him I was defending against an ante steal. And he tells me I'm crazy etc. etc.

So, was raising 3rd crazy or should I have called or thrown it in?
Old 07-01-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Was the guy right to tilt?

If you think he is stealing, you are correct to raise, just realize your hand isn't anything special if he calls or re-raises (which he did), especially with at least one of your cards dead.

He made a huge mistake calling on 4th street after you raised, then hit your doorcard. If I was your opponent my hand would have hit the muck instantly once you bet your open pair.

You missed a bet on sixth street--no way he is folding here after calling the whole way, why give a free card when you know you'll get action? If he's made a straight he is going to raise you, otherwise he'll take the free card. I wouldn't risk giving up a bet here, I would continue to bet out.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:47 PM

To be honest, nobody is EVER right to tilt. Just enjoy it while it lasts when someone else does it! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I like how you played this hand (assuming that you dump on 4th if a brick hit and he bets into you). A bet on sixth street is the only thing I would've done differently.

Afterwards, I don't like that you talked honestly about how you played the hand. That's info you don't need to give. Next time, just say "I felt like gambling" or "I had a pair in the hole"...or say nothing!
Old 07-01-2004, 01:50 PM

It looks like a steal to me. Good hand to pop him back with. And, it worked out nicely for you. I don't think calling or folding are good choices.

Richard K.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:52 PM

Im not so sure I like a raise or even a defensive call here with split 5's and somthing like a dead Q kicker. Unless the anties are high ( I know on PP they sometimes are ridiculious)I feel most times you would be better off just dumping that hand unless you have a great read on this guys steal attempts. Otherwise the only time I would do it(raise or even call) is if the hole cards were s00ted and the s00t was totally live.

its Just that I like a little more spice to my defending hands. But hey you caught a terrific 4th card and got paid off mightily which makes the play not so bad . I mean if you are going to play that kind of stuff you need to get paid off when it hits otherwise playing that stuff just doesnt have much value.

Just my few cents
Old 07-02-2004, 01:59 AM

Location: NorthWest US - the part of it where there\'s no card clubs.

I think in a situation like that where you are going to be head's up with someone and have reason to suspect an ante steal attempt you would want an overcard to continue.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:28 AM

You want to fold if you hit a blank on fourth street? Then you shouldn't get involved in the first place. Assuming the other guy has split Queens, there are three cards in the whole deck that aren't blanks. You re-raise on third thinking you'll probably catch a Five on fourth street? You're getting about 5:1 on your fourth street call. I say call.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:32 AM

I think the third street raise is fine. Folding is fine too. Calling is the worst option, so that's what I probably would have done. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

B-Man is right: bet sixth street. If he has the straight, he'll raise, and you can get three bets in.

Don't get involved in strategy discussions at the table. Nothing good can come of it.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:09 AM

If someone berates me, I usually say the most irritating thing I can think of. In this case, I would probably have opted for "I had the best hand the whole way. be honest, we both know you only paired your queens on the river".
Old 07-02-2004, 10:19 AM

I advocated folding on 4th street if Damn catches a brick, but forgot to include "AND his opponent catches an overcard". Damn's raise to me seems like a value bet at first since the other guy could be on a steal. But when his hand doesn't improve, and he's facing scare cards...it's time to let it go.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out when to give up a steal attempt if they don't back down. Isn't it better to give up a heads-up pot early when the pot is small, particularly when one of his high cards is dead?