Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 04:30 AM

Default Paradise Masters Bubble Hand vs Gigabet

From tonite's $200 Masters Tourney. There are 53 players remaining, with 50 getting paid, no real money until the top few places, with 22k for first. I have 29k and am sitting just outside the top 10. I was moved to Gigabet's table a few orbits ago and he has been very active, playing hard post flop (including a couple of uncalled river pushes) and is looking like he's taking advantage of bubble tightness. He's run his stack up to 50k and is 2nd in chips in the tourney. Blinds are 400/800 and will be moving up in the next 5 minutes or so. My image should be pretty TAG as I have only entered one pot at this table and that was when I reraised an early position raiser and Gigabet's call from the button and took the pot down preflop.

The table is 8 handed and 3rd to act I make it 2400 with ATo. All fold to Gigabet in the BB who (unsurprisingly) calls. The flop comes J93 two tone (I don't have the suit.) Gigabet checks and since I know he can easily check raise with air here I check behind. The turn is an offsuit Ace and he bets 5500, which is roughly pot size - I call. River is a four, no flush possible. Now he puts me all in for my last 21k. Am I beat or is he taking advantage of me on the bubble?
Old 09-14-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Paradise Masters Bubble Hand vs Gigabet

[censored], thats a tough spot. I think the call depends on a few things. Does Gigabet know you are a tight/solid player? If he does, he obviously thinks you can laydown top pair, and his range becomes huge on the river push, and I think then its a call. On the other hand, if he thinks you are a random internet donk, who is incapable of folding top pair ever, then his range is pretty narrow, and its a fold I think. Usually I would call this given the circumstances, but I think it is close.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From tonite's $200 Masters Tourney. There are 53 players remaining, with 50 getting paid, no real money until the top few places, with 22k for first. I have 29k and am sitting just outside the top 10. I was moved to Gigabet's table a few orbits ago and he has been very active, playing hard post flop (including a couple of uncalled river pushes) and is looking like he's taking advantage of bubble tightness. He's run his stack up to 50k and is 2nd in chips in the tourney. Blinds are 400/800 and will be moving up in the next 5 minutes or so. My image should be pretty TAG as I have only entered one pot at this table and that was when I reraised an early position raiser and Gigabet's call from the button and took the pot down preflop.

The table is 8 handed and 3rd to act I make it 2400 with ATo. All fold to Gigabet in the BB who (unsurprisingly) calls. The flop comes J93 two tone (I don't have the suit.) Gigabet checks and since I know he can easily check raise with air here I check behind. The turn is an offsuit Ace and he bets 5500, which is roughly pot size - I call. River is a four, no flush possible. Now he puts me all in for my last 21k. Am I beat or is he taking advantage of me on the bubble?

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, great post and incredibly tough situation.

i think i fold here and i stay aloud to myself, "giga, youre a mother-f'r" (because he has the balls to pull this move).
Old 09-14-2005, 05:18 AM

I probably wouldn't be raising Giga's blind, really, because he can pull stuff like this.

But I call, I really think you are ahead here. You've shown nothing but weakness postflop and he feels you are not committed to the hand, and could very well be bluffing.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I call, I really think you are ahead here. You've shown nothing but weakness postflop and he feels you are not committed to the hand, and could very well be bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I will be bluffing with this bet enough of the time to make the call very profitable. In fact, with all of my river pushes, I was bluffing every time, except for one.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:47 AM

Oh you crazy cat you Gigabet.

--

And to the OP you checked the flop becacuse you didnt want Gigabet to bet you off of your hand w/ air... so what were you hoping to catch on the turn to help your hand? If there are no cards that you think help you on the turn, bet the flop and take your chances w/ him raising you.

I probably fold here and wait for a spot that isn't so iffy.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I will be bluffing with this bet enough of the time to make the call very profitable. In fact, with all of my river pushes, I was bluffing every time, except for one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's profitable based on the action of the hand and how it was played out. To generalize with "all your river pushes" is stupid, because each hand is it's own.

I don't assume you're always bluffing because you're such an aggressive player. But hey, I have the same nick on Stars, just overpush that river with a big hand, I might call you with K high.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh you crazy cat you Gigabet.

--

And to the OP you checked the flop becacuse you didnt want Gigabet to bet you off of your hand w/ air... so what were you hoping to catch on the turn to help your hand? If there are no cards that you think help you on the turn, bet the flop and take your chances w/ him raising you.

I probably fold here and wait for a spot that isn't so iffy.

[/ QUOTE ]

From watching him play I thought that there was approximately zero percent chance that a continuation bet on the flop would take the pot down. Peeling a card seems like a pretty easy choice. Once I hit the ace I thought I probably had the best hand, but the action obviously scares me...
Old 09-14-2005, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To generalize with "all your river pushes" is stupid, because each hand is it's own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have clarified, with all of my river pushes on the bubble in this tournament, there were a few in a very short span of time, I assumed that Nordberg had picked up on the "line" of play that I had been using. That is why I am generalizing all of the pushes together. You are correct in saying that each hand was independent of the others. It just so happened that a similar line played itself out in this particular hand.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what a master

giga never ceases to amaze me

read that again...he is not at all responding to this hand or this tournament and is instead playing mind games with anybody who may read that (probably quite a few with Gigabet in the title of the post) and who will face him in a tournment in the future.

Darrel Dicken is the man