Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Paradise Masters Bubble Hand vs Gigabet

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let me be clear, I did make a comment about this aspect, but I don't think you guys were cheating or anything, I think this is an everyday kind of situation. I just wanted to point out that when you look at it from the other guy's perspective, it ends up being a little unfair if he makes a move based upon what he knows about you, but it goes badly because you're not really you at the moment. Just something to think about, but again, this is probably just a fact of life for online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gigabet certainly can't complain. Read this from Zeejustin's blog:

This morning I woke up, surprised to feel fully rested. I was expecting to get woken up mid-sleep for the WCOOP. I wasn't sure what time it was, so I walked downstairs and saw Darrell (Gigabet) playing.
Me: Did I sleep through the WCOOP?
Darrell: Yeah, I played it for you.
Me: Oh
Darrell: You busted.
Me: Why didn't you wake me up?
Darrell: I did.
Me: Umm... ok.

And that was that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The integrity of online MTT's is an absolute joke. The worst part is that big name players openly talk about playing for others and vice versa. I mean lets be honest, these are teams playing poker. Lets call a spade a spade. Teams are taking over the online MTT world. Too bad these sites can't stop it either.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You realy think Gigabet plays this hand differently against someone else? If he is playing against an unknown how do you think he plays it differently? Its a pretty standard play IMO. check top 2, bet the dangercard, and push the river when he knows his oponent has the ace. I play the hand the same way against a player I know nothing about because AT/AQ/AK is obvious

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny how easy the fold becomes and obvious the hand is after we know what Giga had.

The early argument was that because everyone knows that giga knows that the hero has an ace, giga will therefore push with any 2.

Since we know that giga knows we have an ace, we have to fold. Because Giga knows we know he knows we have an ace, we think giga must think he can beat an ace so we fold.

But since giga knows that we have to fold, he doesn't have to have a hand. Therefore we have to call.

1st level: I have top pair, good kicker
2nd level: Giga is pretty sure that I have top pair
3rd level: I know that Giga knows what I have
4th level: Giga knows that I know that he knows

Yet, despite knowing that Giga knows I have top pair, I still have a very tough decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

MY HEAD HURTS. MOMMY.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's funny how easy the fold becomes and obvious the hand is after we know what Giga had

[/ QUOTE ]

I put him on J9 before I knew the outcome when Nordberg posted the hand on another site. I really believe you are overthinking what is a very basic hand scenario. Too many players in this thread are reading too much into gigabets table image which he uses masterfully not just at the tables but in this site with his very selective posts.

He would need Norberg to fold here over 50% of the time for bluffing to be the right move. That's an extremely optomistic expectation since Gigabet is a smart LAG who knows Nordberg always ignores the bubble
Old 09-15-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I put him on J9 before I knew the outcome when Nordberg posted the hand on another site. I really believe you are overthinking what is a very basic hand scenario. Too many players in this thread are reading too much into gigabets

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay sorry. I didn't realize you had already made the read. I have found that in NL poker, river pushes are rarely bluffs. Often river pushes that lose are mistaken value bets. (Let's say that the river had been a ten on this hand).

Still, if you always play hands this way (calling off 1/3 of your stack and folding the river), you won't have chips for very long.

paperboy
Old 09-15-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh you crazy cat you Gigabet.

--

And to the OP you checked the flop becacuse you didnt want Gigabet to bet you off of your hand w/ air... so what were you hoping to catch on the turn to help your hand? If there are no cards that you think help you on the turn, bet the flop and take your chances w/ him raising you.

I probably fold here and wait for a spot that isn't so iffy.

[/ QUOTE ]

From watching him play I thought that there was approximately zero percent chance that a continuation bet on the flop would take the pot down. Peeling a card seems like a pretty easy choice. Once I hit the ace I thought I probably had the best hand, but the action obviously scares me...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really an easy call.

-Scott
Old 09-15-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I put him on J9 before I knew the outcome when Nordberg posted the hand on another site. I really believe you are overthinking what is a very basic hand scenario. Too many players in this thread are reading too much into gigabets table image which he uses masterfully not just at the tables but in this site with his very selective posts.

He would need Norberg to fold here over 50% of the time for bluffing to be the right move. That's an extremely optomistic expectation since Gigabet is a smart LAG who knows Nordberg always ignores the bubble

[/ QUOTE ]

Good analysis.

Anybody would have value bet the river with two pair. What Gigabet did that was cleaver was use 1) the fact it was pretty clear hero had an ace, 2) Gigabet's LAG image, 3) the fact the an allin looks like a steal with the threat of busting out on the bubble, 4) the fact that Gigabet had taken short stacks allin and shown junk hands, and 5) the fact that hero was not afraid to bust out on the bubble -- to deduce that an allin bet was likely to be called.

Anyone would have won a lot of chips with two pair versus top pair, but Gigabet used his skill and his LAG image to maximize the win.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:55 PM

Well, the true skill involved is playing loosely, and then flopping 2 pair from the BB with a junk hand immediately thereafter. Of course, that's not skill at all.

Gigabet seems like an excellent player, but I don't want the adulation to get out of control. It's as if he had raised 3 straight hands and then picked up AA on the 4th hand, and we're congratulating him for getting paid off.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, the true skill involved is playing loosely, and then flopping 2 pair from the BB with a junk hand immediately thereafter. Of course, that's not skill at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd suggest that the true skill involved is maximizing the payoff on that two pair. Betgo's analysis summed it up right well.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:10 PM

I'm sure Gigabet is a swell fella and all, but what amazes me as I lurk around here are the complete kiss ass suckups who worship these internet "heroes".

Grow a sack and play some poker.