Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Legends of Poker - Controversy at the Bike - NL Capped ??

[ QUOTE ]
Today (the fourth day of the tournament), it was announced that the rule had been changed and that for the remainder of the event, any number of raises would be allowed.

It took four days, but they finally got it right...

-Aces

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's pretty fair, changing up the rules four days into a tournament.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Today (the fourth day of the tournament), it was announced that the rule had been changed and that for the remainder of the event, any number of raises would be allowed.

-Aces

[/ QUOTE ]

When the apologize to me, then maybe I'll come back and play there some time in the future.

I don't think the rule ever changed. I think they never understood what the hell they were talking about. No one ever produced a copy of the rules in writing that ever stated the rule they were allegedly enforcing.

Perry
Old 08-31-2005, 09:25 AM

Sounds terrible. Can you imagine if they kept this ruling for the final table? "Well, that's the last raise Vince, because here in Lala Land, only three raises are allowed. Four players to the flop... 3 5 7... BINGO BANGO BONGO Danny Nguyen's flopped a straight!"

On a unrelated note: Perry, thanks for showing us how to REALLY get "animated" at a TV table. That talking to your hand-man junx on espn last night was friggin hilarious.

You even made Eric Seidel smile. THAT'S an accomplishment.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:50 AM

I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 raises in an NL tourney ever, but I don't play the big buy-ins. Does it happen that often to be an issue?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 raises in an NL tourney ever

[/ QUOTE ]

never seen "bet, raise, reraise, all-in" before?

[ QUOTE ]
but I don't play the big buy-ins. Does it happen that often to be an issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

with medium-sized to deep stacks, it happens.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds terrible. Can you imagine if they kept this ruling for the final table? "Well, that's the last raise Vince, because here in Lala Land, only three raises are allowed. Four players to the flop... 3 5 7... BINGO BANGO BONGO Danny Nguyen's flopped a straight!"

On a unrelated note: Perry, thanks for showing us how to REALLY get "animated" at a TV table. That talking to your hand-man junx on espn last night was friggin hilarious.

You even made Eric Seidel smile. THAT'S an accomplishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!

Perry
Old 08-31-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to take exclusive credit as I know plenty of people complained about it, but when I heard they weren't going to fix the rule until the tournament was over I got the wpt people involved to stop the insanity. You should have seen mike sexton's face when I told him about the rule. That kind of open incredulity is hard to come by.

Someone else in this thread said "Wow, that's pretty fair, changing up the rules four days into a tournament" which would usually be a valid point, but sometimes the interests of fairness are not best served by adhering to a clear mistake merely to honor consistency. This was one of those times.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to take exclusive credit as I know plenty of people complained about it, but when I heard they weren't going to fix the rule until the tournament was over I got the wpt people involved to stop the insanity. You should have seen mike sexton's face when I told him about the rule. That kind of open incredulity is hard to come by.

Someone else in this thread said "Wow, that's pretty fair, changing up the rules four days into a tournament" which would usually be a valid point, but sometimes the interests of fairness are not best served by adhering to a clear mistake merely to honor consistency. This was one of those times.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, I still contend that they likely did not even change the rule but that they were mistaken about the rule all along. Someone sent an email to the BARGE list with the rules from live games at the Bike and it clearly says that there is a bet and 3 raises in limit, and no limit to raises in NL and PL.

The tournament director claimed the rule he was using was for TOURNEYS, and was a TDA rule. He was clearly mistaken there. If the Bike had a specific rule somewhere about a cap in NL in tournaments, it should be in writing somewhere. The tournament director was unwilling to produce such a rule in writing. If anyone here can find such a rule in writing for the Bike, I will pay them a $10 bounty.

Given that he was mistaken about it being a TDA rule, I'd say that it is more likely that he was completely than he simply misremembered whether it was a TDA rule or a Bike specific tournament rule.

Perry
Old 08-31-2005, 02:51 PM

i am wondering why this rule is just now coming to the forefront. it seems that the Bike has been misinterpreting the rules for quite some time and just now someone has spoken up about it? strikes me ass odd...
Old 08-31-2005, 09:55 PM

What happens when you're at a table of drunks at a low limit NL game and this situation arises: after 3 people limp, a couple of guys (who don't know each other) think it would be the funniest thing in the world to keep raising back and forth one bet at a time until they got all in. What do you do if you're one of the players involved in the hand and put in 3 bets before you realized what they were up to? How do you rule if you're the floorman?