Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 10:05 AM

Default leak?overreaction? or not enough info?

Appreciate any thoughts, and pardon my ramblin's in advance.

I enjoy mtts and have won enough money in them to keep my spirits high. I probably play closer to the harrington school of thought more so than any other (if I only had his success to go with it!). I also play less than average (meaning hours) than most here I would assume. Maybe 4 to 8 hrs a week if I end up itm in a tourney, which means I may play one or two mtt tourneys a week (as I say this, I realize I'm probably over-reacting to my "problem"). My recent run has been a little frustrating however. I just ran some stats over the last 6 months for sng and mtt win and itm rates.

I've played in 20 st sngs, won 8 and monied 11 times
as for mtts I've played in 37, won 1, and monied in 9 with two other final tables.
These aren't great or terrible I suppose. My feelings are, atleast lately, I seem to money (the last 4)in large mtts (over 500 players) but when the blinds get outrageous I miss out on the decent money, which to me means a few grand on up. The trend has been - get to the money, hang on, gamble when less than 10 bbs and bust.

Obviously, I probably don't have enough data to accurately tell if I have a serious leak and I might be alarmed for no reason, however any thoughts on getting to the serious money when the blinds are cancerous is welcomed.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: leak?overreaction? or not enough info?

Possibility: You're running hot in sngs and regarding that as normal That's making you think that your MTT results (which are fine) should be better.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:22 AM

Thanks... That's a valid point I haven't even thought of.

It also brings to light another issue. I seem to do well heads up, poorly amongst the bubble when the blinds are treacherous, and fairly well early to mid tourney.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:32 AM

9 cashes, 3 final tables and 1 win in 37 MTTs sounds like excellent results, particularly if these are MTTs with like 500 players. I pretty much play MTTs full time and I don't get that kind of results. You are not going to have anywhere near the cash and win %s you get with SNGs for obvious reasons.

If you are having trouble when the blinds get big, you are probably not playing aggressively enough.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:41 AM

I don't want to misrepresent the number of players - prolly 10 or so of the 37 mtts have had 500+. The last 4 which I've monied were over 500 players. The rest (including the win and other final tables) were in the 100 to 500 player range. And my decent return could be variance due to the limited time I put in. I also tend to think I need to step up my aggressiveness also.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:22 AM

not even close to enough info
Old 08-13-2005, 11:31 AM

yeah, that was my feelin' when I posted. But when you play as little (relatively speaking anyways) as I do you got to go with something. Unfortunately, I have a day job...