Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Pittsburgh Penguins get first pick

[ QUOTE ]
It sucks that the Penguins get the first pick. Crosby's going to disappear in Pittsburgh. No one there cares, and they're just not big enough a market to make a real impace on the league as a whole. At least he gets to play with Mario for a year or two - that will be awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

you'd be right if you weren't completely wrong. i played a tourney tonight in PGH and that was easily one of the biggest topics of conversation. that, and zack duke. people are pretty excited.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:16 AM

Only a few teams in Russia can pay big money: Avangard Omsk, Moscow Dynamo, and a couple of others. I'd be very surprised if Malkin didn't come over in the next few years. While he makes more over there now, his top end in the NHL is higher than his top end over there. Even players who were reluctant to try the NHL, like Jan Hlavac and Jiri Dopita, eventually came overseas. Under the old CBA, European players' rights were held for 7 years after they were drafted, so I wouldn't worry. Malkin will eventually make the trip.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:50 AM

Hockey's back! ****ing finally.

I think Mario used to play on the same team as Crosbie's father in the Quebec league, back in the day.

Why couldn't the flames have lucked out and got first pick? Yes, every fan in the league is asking a variant of that question, but um, we deserve him.

Thank God he didn't go to Carolina or Tampa though. They smell funny.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shoot-outs are not hockey. That is all there is to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's important enough to have non-tie results, then it's important enough to do right. Deciding the result of a hockey game based on something that isn't hockey is not doing it right.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's important enough to have non-tie results, then it's important enough to do right. Deciding the result of a hockey game based on something that isn't hockey is not doing it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I just don't see the problem with a tie. I've been to many games that ended in a tie, and (1) thought they were great games, and (2) was happy that at least my team didn't lose.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you don't know hockey because the XVII Winter Games Gold hockey match between Sweden & Canada had one of the best endings EVER in sports.

Couple guys you may have heard of were involved in the last shots of the shootout, Forsberg scored and then Kariya was stopped for the Sweden win.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:13 PM

I have no problems with shootouts in the regular season, since most of the teams make the playoffs anyway, why not spice up the boring regular season games where nobody takes any chances. The playoffs is where it's at anyway.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:30 PM

Some ties are like that - I'd put that number at around 20%. You can say, "Neither team deserved to lose that game."

But most ties, you can pick a clear loser - a team that got outshot and outhustled all game, but their goalie and a few lucky bounces kept them in it.

Ideally there'd be sudden death in the regular season. I don't really like the idea of shootouts, either. But no other sport would put up with this many games having no conclusion. There has to be some kind of solution.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:40 PM

Why did they name them the penguins? are there actual penguins in pittsburgh? and what's with the mighty ducks? does hockey have the worst team names of any pro sport?
Old 07-24-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, for the NHL I think Pittsburgh is probably one of the best places Crosby could have landed, at least for financial reasons. Pittsburgh has been on the brink of folding for a few years, and probably would have folded if not for Lemieux saving it. If Crosby is everything they say he is, he will revitalize that team and its fan base, to the extent hockey can be revitalized. His arrival in Pittsburgh probably added 2 years on to Lemieux's career, assuming his back holds up. Having him and Crosby on the same ice for a few years will be exciting and a good marketing pitch for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lemeiux has done a lot to keep hockey in our town and he is widely reguarded as the greatest sportsman ever to grace our city with his presence.

I'm thrilled that we get the next Lemeiux and that the old Lemeiux is going to play with him for atleast one year. This is for selfish reasons, of course.

I do like the changes that were made. Hockey needs to have more 7-5 games, instead of the 2-1 games it had all over the place during the last season.