Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 06:52 PM

Default He called me retarded (n/m)

I think this was just a funny hand especially the talk afterwards. My opponent was very aggressive but he played a lot of mediocre hands too. Most of the time he came in with a raise. When he had a good hand and somebody else sucked out or caught his 4 or 5 outer he became mad and started berating others. He laughed a few times at a guy who called 82o and 75o and stuff like that. When that guy sucked out twice, he tilted. He expected to win with every good hand he had.

So on to the hand, this guy had just lost with 2 or 3 good hands in the last 10 hands and started raising more preflop. He waits with any high pair until the turn, where he check-raises or raises.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed)

Preflop: Guido is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Guido 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Easy 3-bet against somebody who is a half maniac I think.

Flop: (7.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Guido bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Guido 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Guido calls.

Well, he check-raises me on the flop so he probably has some kind of draw or a lower pair. I made it 3 to get a free card and maybe make him fold his 66 or 77. Obviously I don't really like his cap but he would do that with a flush or straight draw. He wouldn't do that with a lower pair.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Guido calls.

Well big pot, and enough outs so call.

River: (9.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Guido bets</font>, UTG folds.

Well he missed his draw so I have the best hand and bet, maybe he will fold a low pair.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

After this he said I was lucky that I caught my pair and that his KT didn't get there. I said that I didn't have any pair and that I had AT so I was in front all the time. Then he called me retarded. On a QJ2 flop, KT was better than AT according to him. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Dang, I'm stupid...

Thanks,

Guido
Old 01-19-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: He called me retarded (n/m)

I try really hard to keep chat off, because comments like that are so delicious that I would just try to induce them all day. Maybe that's a topic for me and my therapist, though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

n1.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:01 PM

I have the chat off too but for some reason this was the only table where I hadn't turned it of. Chatting makes me play worse...

Guido
Old 01-19-2005, 07:05 PM

NH, would have been more fun if you had told him T9 though.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:59 PM

I'm new to on-line and have learned the obvious--game selection is everything. It seems to me that entering a table w/ lots of chat is +ev. By turning it off I lose lots of info. Is someones aggression likely a personal problem, or due to their cards? Should I bluff the river against the unluckyest person in the world? Do they seem to know what the f%$#% they're talking about and I should maybe find a better game?

Usually whe they call me a retard, they are obviously out of line. It does not bother me. When they aren't (strategically speaking) I love it: I enjoy their chips, play better and encourage them to play worse by simply existing at their table. Who doesn't play more mediocre cards against a perceived fish? The truth doesn't seem to hurt so much when there are so many hands to play (as there are on-line). It is informative though and I'm glad to have it.

Furthermore, it seems to me that tables w/ chat are harder for the losers to leave. They seem to stay longer and rebuy more--it's more personal (friends or foes).

Maybe I will find many better indicators, but almost all GREAT tables I've played at have chat.

One thing that I've observed to be true and perhaps axiomatic with regards to nasty chatters:

It takes one to think you know one.

PT
Old 01-19-2005, 09:29 PM

Yeah, my problem is I enjoy baiting foul-mouthed hotheads too much. I admit it's a personal failure; I was reasonably serious about the therapist thing.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:10 PM

Don't know about the river bet....
Old 01-20-2005, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I made it 3 to get a free card and maybe make him fold his 66 or 77

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Guido bets....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting thought process... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think the River bet is suspect, given he bet the Turn and checked the River, he is either folding his missed draw or CR you with a set. Why not show him your cards to induce even more rage, rather than using chat?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:48 AM

Dang, but you forget this part:

He wouldn't do that with a lower pair.

He played his hand exactly how he would play a draw. He would slowplay a set and just call the flop and check-raise the turn and then bet the river. He doesn't have a 2 because he wouldn't cap that. Neither a Q or J because he would wait until the turn. He has a draw either a straight or flush draw. Now none of the straight draws got there so I beat all those. The only hands that beat me are flush draws where he has the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. To be honenst I think he would only raise these two combined with the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. So only 2 hands beat me and I beat the rest. That's why I bet, I agree it's close.

Normally I have the chat turned of so I have no idea how mad or angry people are. I just found this guy funny. It was also one of my last hands of my session and already closed a few tables so I didn't mind saying something back. I just found it funny and wanted to share it with you guys.

Thanks,

Guido
Old 01-20-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a QJ2 flop, KT was better than AT according to him.

[/ QUOTE ]
If it's K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], it is.

Good read, nh.