Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Why do mid-high stakes games exist?

I'm a 6-12 player. When I see a 20-40 game, for the most part, I see notice that the players are basically competent, and that they could probably beat the 6-12. Now, at that 20-40 table, there are some players that are not playing with an edge. Why is it that they play the 20-40 instead of a lower limit? This applies to higher stakes players as well. The 3-6 and 6-12 players, they're just looking for some diversion from daily life and lose a couple hundred bucks at the tables, no big deal. But folks playing 20-40 are, I would imagine, smart enough to realize that losing money, when they could be winning it instead, is kinda stupid. What is a typical personal profile of a losing 20-40 player?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Why do mid-high stakes games exist?

But folks playing 20-40 are, I would imagine, smart enough to realize that losing money, when they could be winning it instead, is kinda stupid.

lol
Old 01-12-2005, 02:04 PM

Everyone thinks they are better than they are. Also, many people simply enjoy gambling, and don't get the same thrill from the lower limits.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:19 PM

Alright, what limit do you play? One limit above that, why do THEY play that limit?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:30 PM

Ever hear of gambling? Some people seem to enjoy it.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:31 PM

I'll anywhere from 15/30-100/200. I assure you there are plenty of idiots at all levels of poker except for the highest (1k/2k, etc.). In a typical live 20/40 game, I'd be very surprised to see anymore than than 3 players that are competant.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:52 PM

This is an interesting post. I fall into the category of someone who does from time to time play higher stakes, but I normally play lower than I can play simply because I do better (not only BB/hour -- but total profit) playing at 5/10 or 10/20 than I do at 20/40. The reason? It's obvious: poorer competition. However, one cannot get better without playing with better people from time to time.

You can take this further down to the times I was playing the 3/6 game at the Goldstrike in Tunica when I was there last month and I almost felt like it was a colossal waste of time as there was just such poor play, I almost felt like I was getting worse every moment I sat there.

While I don't play for a living, I do want to get progressively better -- all while at the same time NOT losing any money -- so in order to do this, I work up the limits slowly. I imagine that I would get a lot better a lot quicker if I just played 20/40 ... however, I would invariably LOSE money in the short-term and that would annoy me. Seeing as how I don't want to be annoyed in something I'm doing for fun, I choose to work myself up gradually with occasional shots at the higher games ONLY when I see horrendous competition ... or if I'm just waiting for my seat to open at a lower table.

Those are my reasons. I'm sure others have other ones.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-12-2005, 02:54 PM

Some people have a lot more money than you do.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:55 PM

I played in a 10-20 game yesterday. A guy was playing almost every hand and raised almost every one he played. He called 2 cold and later open raised himself with 23o and won both. No lie.

If you have the bankroll and skill level for it, would you rather play him at 6-12 or 10-20? They find their way into the 15-30 also.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:23 PM

They find their way into the 15-30 also.

I haven't played high stakes yet, but at my 40/80 tables there are tons of uberfish. The difference is it takes more skill to know how to take advantage of their tons of leaks increase your expectation from your typical 40-game fish than your typical 10-game uberfish. From my limited experience, most of your solid 10 game players would BE the 40 game fish. It's all relative.

GoT