Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Hand vs Sklansky

Ok, I missed one of your posts on this thread.

Lets break it down a little with these two particular players only please. After all, it wasnt "player A" and "player B"

I think I was clear in that Schneids doesnt call a river raise on this hand or a hand that DOESNT beat a fairly strong hand. I would suspect Scneids fold to a river raise with all hands less than JJ in this spot, against this player. DS isnt known for river bluff raises. Certainly not head-up. (stick schneids in the middle with a suspected player on a draw behind and maybe then an occasional bluff raise). Do we agree on this point with THESE TWO PLAYERS?

Now, lets look at some typical plays made in THIS GAME in situations just like this with somewhat more random hands by a pre-flop 3-bettor(more random 3-betting DS is not imo)

Schneids is now Player "A" with the same A8. Player "B" suspects Scneids (correctly on a fair % of time) is raising preflop with a mediocre hand a high % of time, taking advantage of his position. Would we tend to agree here? Player "B" 3 bets with a much wider range naturally. But Scneids doesnt believe Player "B" now has to have a great hand to 3-bet. The hand plays out like Schneids descibes, but Schneids will win a higher % of times against more random players with this flop. Often times even by just Hi-carding. Let alone the pair.

But with DS, if DS raises (IMO) at any time after the flop, Scneids folds a much higher % of times AGAINST DS. You and I both know DS is not real creative that often, so I think we can agree here.

Yet calling Schneids down does two things..FOR DS..It wins at least 1 more bet than raiseing at any time after the flop when he is ahead. It loses 1 less bet MINIMUM if Schneids is playing a straightforward bet out trips with A9 on this flop. It ALSO lets schneids know he better have a hand to bet out the turn when DS 3-bets him preflop, THEREBY ALLOWING DS to make future "takeaways" at later times when Schneids starts checking turns, or checking behind for his own free cards more often when Scneids is now subdued into check/call mode against DS's pre-flop 3-bet.

For those that have a high propensity to "bet the river" but fold to a raise,(when out of position) almost automatically, as many people suggest so often on the forums today, I submit they are losing pots to players that are just creative enough to bluff raise a river when we could easily check/call these mediocre hands costing us the same but picking up a small % more POTS but not losing any more bets.

As for the AK question? I'm not positive, but in my observances of DS, I believe he mucks to the turn bet more often with AK than many would believe. There are only 4 3/4 BB's in this pot when schneids fires on the turn. However, against some other players in that game he is way ahead a small but reasonable % of times as it is often a "move" bet with very few outs, but some. Often as little as 3 outs to win if called. However I dont see DS raising a river bet with AK in this spot. But I certainly could be wrong.

As for the young lady: She was very interesting. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 01:43 AM

As you describe them, Schneids and DS seem like pretty easy opponents to play against. It also sounds like DS can pretty much shove you around at will.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As you describe them, Schneids and DS seem like pretty easy opponents to play against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either that, or his answer to my question was "No".